Modern Essentials - a 2nd look

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
The 15" ME hats and 22" ME ride haven't been off my gig rig since I acquired them. They just do absolutely everything well. I grabbed a 24" ME ride for my home kit and love it. The 10" splash is also a tasty little treat. As Rick said before, they pair well with everything. My gig crashes are Sig Fasts and a PSTX Swiss Thin. At home, I mix larger Sig Fasts with 15" 2002 SE hats, the aforementioned 24" ME ride, a 10" Dark Energy splash, and an 18" ME China. Haven't been able to find much fault in the combos!
I have the 14” PSTX flanger stack and the bottom cymbal i think is the same thing as the pstx flanger crash. That thing is one punchy crash dude. You can actually use both as crashes but the bottom one with flanged edge is better.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Maybe that crash wasn't miced properly ? Very hard to imagine Vinnie would not be savy to this.
By the way I actually had a pair of those 15” hihats once but returned them. They were off eBay and the guy told me they were new but they obviously weren’t and had a couple chips in them. Also, they seemed a little big for me and I thought the 14’s would go better with the 20 ride. They’re very responsive and well made.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just paid for a brand new minty pair of 15" ME's to pair up with my 20 ME ride :) Happy days.

Any suggestions on a 18/19 crash that might pair well with them ? Those dark energy's are expensive but sound great too. I like light ride capabilities in a crash.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Just paid for a brand new minty pair of 15" ME's to pair up with my 20 ME ride :) Happy days.

Any suggestions on a 18/19 crash that might pair well with them ? Those dark energy's are expensive but sound great too. I like light ride capabilities in a crash.
I’m not a pro on this subject but from what I’ve seen from pros online they use 19” Masters, some use the 18”, those Dark Energy’s are popular, the Master’s thin and extra thin(Jim Keltner designed), John JR Robinson loves the 19 and 20 signature full crashes, I play the 18” fast crash that works for light riding, maybe a ME crash would be cool. I was looking into getting one of those at one point because I was so happy with the ME’s I already had.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not a pro on this subject but from what I’ve seen from pros online they use 19” Masters, some use the 18”, those Dark Energy’s are popular, the Master’s thin and extra thin(Jim Keltner designed), John JR Robinson loves the 19 and 20 signature full crashes, I play the 18” fast crash that works for light riding, maybe a ME crash would be cool. I was looking into getting one of those at one point because I was so happy with the ME’s I already had.
Thanks, I have a 18" Masters and a Sig 17" fast already and was looking something slightly chunkier for bigger stages etc.
Leaning towards a 18/19 dark energy or an ME. I do seem to gravitate more to B20 alloy cymbals though.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm still using the 15" ME hats and 22" ME ride. I sold off the 18 and 20" crashes though.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Why? Too heavy?
From what I remember I just liked my other crash options better. Sigs and Dark Energies. And I'm sure I was selling to fund the purchase of something else!

Someone on here once described the ME crashes as sounding "chalky" which kinda hit it on the head for me, as abstract as that is.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Someone on here once described the ME crashes as sounding "chalky" which kinda hit it on the head for me, as abstract as that is.
:) trying to process what "chalky" sounds like ................

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 15" ME hats are still my go to hats for pretty much anything. I like the classic reissues better for crashes though (I've got a 17 and 18). Currently using a 20" 602 medium ride but plan to get a 22" ME ride and then acquire a 20" classic crash. I've got tons of cymbals but the 602's are all I really need.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
15" ME hats arrived this morning. They are a precision instrument.

They have the speed and accuracy characteristics of 14s if needed, combined with the sloshy 15" goodness if you open them up. Very impressive.
Just need to find a gig now but that's another thread.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Took a chance and snagged a second hand 18 ME crash for a good price and unsurprisingly it sounds remarkably like the 3 crashes in the video above :)

Bit more weight than I'm used to at 1478g but it works. I would have expected it to be a bit clangy at that weight but not at all, very nice balanced cymbal with light right capabilities

Last edited: