Modern Pop/Rock/Country Drummers That Play a 20/14/12 Setup?

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Steve’s main JM kit is MC in 12/14/18/24 and he used a smaller 12/14/20 outfit of this and a CC (Clapton) too. On the last toir his JM3 kit was a Rogers in 12/14/20.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Not directly on point to your question, but I recall reading an interview with Justin Foley of Killswitch Engage who was using a 20 inch kick for some very heavy music. That style is NOT my cuppa Darjeeling, but his thoughts made an impact on me in that he said with modern sound production it could sound as big as he needed.

Shortly after that, I got a 20/12/14 maple kit and it does it all for me. At a small bar it’s fine with no amplification; mic’d up at a big venue it’s a live monster; engineers like it in the studio for its sonic camaraderie.

I play mostly pop/rock/country and it’s the idea configuration for me. Never lacking, and fits in the back of my Mazda 3.

I’ll add that I’m a proponent of the 20 x 14 kick. I also have a 20 x 17, but the 14 inch depth is rounder and more of a real “note” that sits on its own gilded throne in the mix as opposed to a simple and monochromatic “thud”.

Obviously, I’m not using a double pedal.

chillybase

Reaction score
I think this kit that Josh Homme plays in Eagles of Death Metal is smaller than the 20/14/12, maybe it is 18/14. Of course, it is mic'd and all.

chillybase

Reaction score
The 20/14/12 setup appeals to me and I've contemplated selling my Superstars to somewhat downsize.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input. Please keep the comments and names coming. I have been checking out some clips of these bands, and I'm surprised by how big these little kits can sound.

When people play unmiced with a 20/14/12 setup, do you find them to be lacking in any way when compared to a traditional 22/16/13 setup?

Last edited:

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When people play unmiced with a 20/14/12 setup, do you find them to be lacking in any way, when compared to a traditional 22/16/13 setup?
Yes, if you're un-mic'ed, a 20" kick definitely has less "presence" than a 22. Less "oomph," less "balls."

You can make it work, I've done so for over 40 years, but a 22" bass drum most certainly has a bigger sound than a 20".

But bottom line, in my experience, if the bass player is pushing 800 watts through a four ten cabinet, you can be buried no matter what size bass drum you use.

And it's true that with a big enough PA you could use a 14" bass drum, or a cardboard box, or just pound your chest.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
I don’t find my 20x14 lacking unmic’d. Wide open tuning with a rubber beater and it punches through. Powerstroke 3 batter head.
Of course it depends on your band. If the kick is getting lost then an argument can be made that the rest of the band with their amps is too loud.
I’ve never missed my 22 since moving to a 20.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If we are talking personal opinions.... I don’t like 20’s. If I want bigger I’ll use a 22, if I want smaller an 18. Both set ups with a 12 &14. The middle ground of the 20 isn’t that useful to me. But that’s me :)

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If we are talking personal opinions.... I don’t like 20’s. If I want bigger I’ll use a 22, if I want smaller an 18. Both set ups with a 12 &14. The middle ground of the 20 isn’t that useful to me. But that’s me :)
Hmm...that's interesting. Are there any particular reasons why?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
My go to size for the last couple of years is a 22x14, but when I want a 20 I use a double headed, unvented Milestone 20" , a great sounding drum . I've owned Sonor, Ludwig, Rogers,Yamaha, Slingerland 20's . 70's Ludwig 6 ply is a beast and the Rogers a sweetheart, but the Milestone is number one .

20's are quicker , so the pocket changes complexion, opening newer doors . It all depends on the players around me and what their approach and touch happens to be . 20's can be more tone - orientated since the beater usually strikes off center .

Regardless of the size, Aquarian SK 1's are on all of my basses and normally 12 and 14 ( different brands)to complete the kit .

Last edited:

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lots of great info in this thread. Most everything I was going to add has already been covered.

I've been using a 20", 12", 14" for most of the last two years. I'll swap in a 16" occasionally, but otherwise I havent felt like I was missing much.

I used the same Sakae Trilogy kit for most of the album below. I think the songs "Guitars and Memories" and "Lokomotion" should give some idea of range.

I'm no great player by any stretch, but I think the sounds come across pretty well here.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hmm...that's interesting. Are there any particular reasons why?
If I do a pop or soul gig where I’m playing a lot of 2&4 then I want the deeper 22 to anchor that. If if playjng something that requires more conversation in the bass drum then the 18 serves that better.

I’ve tried some of the best 20’s multiple times but it was never the “ all purpose “ drum that seems to work for some players. There were some situations where it was cool but generally it left me wanting the size up or down

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I do a pop or soul gig where I’m playing a lot of 2&4 then I want the deeper 22 to anchor that. If if playjng something that requires more conversation in the bass drum then the 18 serves that better.

I’ve tried some of the best 20’s multiple times but it was never the “ all purpose “ drum that seems to work for some players. There were some situations where it was cool but generally it left me wanting the size up or down
That is really interesting to hear. I love the ability to position the rack tom and the easier portability with a 20" kick. 14" floor toms are wonderful to me, so that's not a problem. But the "punch" of a 20 just sits in a different spot in the music for me. 18" drums seem to be even worse in that way, so I doubt I could go down to that size.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is really interesting to hear. I love the ability to position the rack tom and the easier portability with a 20" kick. 14" floor toms are wonderful to me, so that's not a problem. But the "punch" of a 20 just sits in a different spot in the music for me. 18" drums seem to be even worse in that way, so I doubt I could go down to that size.
They’re only worse because maybe you’re looking for something it can’t deliver. If you need to use it as a voice in an improvised conversation then it’s a good candidate.