header.nohb.html

Mojo and patina or dirt and rust?

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
I ask this as I have been cleaning up my Champagne Sparkle 1971 Rogers kit.

I know that drummers are (in general, speaking) different in their attitude towards rash, scars, rust, etc. on a drum set. Me, also being a guitar player have taken the “earned battle scars” aesthetic as cool.

This kit was heavily campaigned in the 70s and 80s in a busy gigging band. I gigged them briefly in the late 80s. I can’t believe that I used old heads on this kit LOL I even threw away an old Trixon by Remo batter head!

I cleaned off a lot of tar and nicotine as well as dust! My paper towels are brown!

I am not getting the distinct feeling that many T rods were replaced! None match, and there are many colors of chrome and nickel plating on the T rods! Many washers are missing.

I have long decided that this will not be restored. I have neither the time, patience or money to track down correct parts. The Swivomatic arm mounts are long gone after being replaced by RIMS from 1989! I am going to use the INDe mount on my mounted tom.

Would the left over residue on the wraps, as well as uncleaned rust count as Mojo, Patina or Dirt and Rust?

008C2FF5-27A2-4C2B-A83E-ABC65463661B.jpeg

Last edited:

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I would at least give it a good wipe down with a reliable/safe cleaner.
Repainting or wrap isn't necessary IMO--especially if you want some wear to show. It's been used for a long time, so let it show off it's age.DFD has washers, rods & claws for cheap, and I would replace them as needed.
No need to have old POS parts messing it up further when it wouldn't cost that much, and will aid in the future use of the kit.

Cheers and have fun!

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
I would at least give it a good wipe down with a reliable/safe cleaner.
Repainting or wrap isn't necessary IMO--especially if you want some wear to show. It's been used for a long time, so let it show off it's age.DFD has washers, rods & claws for cheap, and I would replace them as needed.
No need to have old POS parts messing it up further when it wouldn't cost that much, and will aid in the future use of the kit.

Cheers and have fun!

I have cleaned the drums and hardware, and will be replacing t-rods as necessary. In the end, this is firmly a player kit.

I just can’t see the necessity of making these squeaky clean, particularly since this kit was campaigned. It does look good from even five feet away. And it sounds pretty nice. I finished the final step by cleaning the bass drum, installing an EQ4 batter (with printer’s vinyl and a beater pad) and an EQ3 resonant and it sounds GREAT. The proof is in what my ears hear.

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the laundry room temporarily.

The perfect spot for experimenting with bass drum laundry.
I have a couple of bd’s with “laundry” inside....one, a 12x22 that has a T shirt inside, plus a 14x26 that has a T shirt and a quasi flannel pair of shorts inside. This is my variable dampening system....lol.
bt

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Removing grime with Dawn can do wonders with sparkles, but the road wear is what it is and adds character.

I’m currently putting together a set of orphans, and clean them a fair amount, as I just don’t like to handle other people’s dirt.

Regardless, the first step to cleaning up that kit and making it look a lot better would simply be to do your laundry.