Molded earplug question

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
I’m considering in investing in some but I don’t want to if I don’t confirm something. A huge issue I have with the zildjian ones and others is I lose all of my high end hearing. Would molded fix that or is it kind of par for course?

SKINZ

Reaction score
OH YES in ears will save your hearing check out Ultimate Ears UE 7 is what i have JH are good too he started Ultimate Ears they b expensive........ in ears will center u up make everything less loud unless u want loud .....:cool: also depends on ur mics too full kit miced or just overheads u have to experiment.......

dsop

Reaction score
I think he's talking about ear PLUGS not in-hear monitors.

If you get molded ear plugs, you can swap out the attenuation that you want. The frequency response is really good, pretty flat really.

The Concert is an ideal hearing protector for musicians and concert attendees, but is also useful to anyone who needs to hear accurately in high-noise environments. An interchangeable flat attenuation filter allows the wearer to hear sounds accurately, but at reduced volumes. Can be ordered with a choice of 9, 15, or 25 dB Etymotic Research® filters.

High-Fidelity Hearing Protection

Musicians Earplugs™ are custom high-fidelity earplugs developed by ETYMOTIC over 25 years ago, following president Dr. Mead Killion’s participation in a noise study for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. They are still the highest fidelity of any earplugs available. Musicians Earplugs are a custom product, made individually for each user. They can be purchased from hearing professionals.

Musicians practice and perform in a variety of different settings. They are exposed to high levels of sound, sometimes for long periods and may require different amounts of protection depending on sound levels encountered during rehearsals and performance. Some musicians use one type of attenuator in one ear and one type in the other, depending on the source and location of the sound.

Benefits

• Reduces sound levels evenly so that music and speech are clear and natural, not muffled as with other earplugs
  • Reduces risk of hearing damage for many noisy occupations and noisy venues, such as airshows, parades, athletic events and motor sports
  • Enhances the music experience for audiences while protecting hearing
  • Lets musicians hear their own instrument and their blend with others
Features

• 3 levels of sound reduction: 9 dB, 15 dB and 25 dB
  • Interchangeable buttons
  • Custom earmolds require ear impressions
Tips

• Regular use of these high-fidelity earplugs while practicing, performing and listening to music will protect hearing from the cumulative effects of overexposure to loud sound throughout life.
  • A little time may be required to acclimate to these earplugs. Many musicians report that they hear their own instruments better, as well as the balance with those around them.

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve been using molded plugs for the past 8 years and it’s a dream. They just cut volume, not frequencies. I would not be using them if the highs were cut out. I use the 9db filter for most gigs and the 15db filters for louder gigs.

Sure, they cost a penny but IMO are totally worth it.

drummerfriend

Reaction score
I've been using custom made Westone plugs since the 90's. Would never consider picking up a stick without them. I'm on my third set since they do seem to wear out about every 10 years or so from usage.

I need to go to my local Hearing/Speech center who makes the foam mold and then orders the actual pieces. I get a couple different level of filters for them as well. I use 1 for really loud events I attend and the other for my practicing/playing.

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guy. I’ll probably try them. I just know with some I can barely hear my cymbals and they get too loud. Honestly would rather go without than have a bad sound happening for the band.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Molded earplugs offer much better attenuation so they block all frequencies more consistently. There is new technology available that allows audiologists to make a 3D digital model of your inner ear and then an earplug is created from the digital model. It is much more accurate than the old method of making ear molds - injecting a sort of caulk into the ear. Trust me, I have had both. Find an audiologist who uses this new scanning system: https://www.lantostechnologies.com/us/

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
Just emailed them to find out.

Molded earplugs offer much better attenuation so they block all frequencies more consistently. There is new technology available that allows audiologists to make a 3D digital model of your inner ear and then an earplug is created from the digital model. It is much more accurate than the old method of making ear molds - injecting a sort of caulk into the ear. Trust me, I have had both. Find an audiologist who uses this new scanning system: https://www.lantostechnologies.com/us/

dsop

Reaction score
There is new technology available that allows audiologists to make a 3D digital model of your inner ear and then an earplug is created from the digital model. It is much more accurate than the old method of making ear molds - injecting a sort of caulk into the ear. Trust me, I have had both.
Holy cow, I hadn't heard about that before. Thanks!

Latest posts