Moleskin

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Dr.Scholl's product. Who uses it as a bass drum patch? It seems like it was the most popular solution before dedicated patches became available.
I used to think I would prefer a soft beater over a soft head surface, more flexible should I ever want a harder attack. On my bop drum however it seems like the perfect solution: I can continue using my standard beater, the head doesn't wear off. Pllus, apart from softening the attack, the hig-end ring is also reduced, most notably because I used a large piece (used to think a patch would be best kept to a minimum size). Coated Amby, no (other) muffling.

This is the pic that inspired me to try it again:

jansara

Reaction score
Back in the day there were probably more patches on bass drum heads than there were on feet. That's a great pic....Tony burned on a small kit.

chollyred

Reaction score
I've used it on the mesh head of e-drums, but never have on acoustic drums.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's all I ever used in the '60's. I had to, I could not afford to buy new heads!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I used it for a while in the early 2000's. It just didn't last very long. It was cheaper in the long run to just buy a real impact patch.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
when i started playing as a young boy, I used the moleskin. It was all I knew. Then when they came out with the falam style I switched to that as they last far longer.
however, I never liked the sound for whatever reason, so now I have gone back to moleskin. I cut in small pieces just big enough to cover the beater area, and I double up,
so two layers, then after each gig I peel whats left of the top layer and put on a new one on. works great and gives me the tone I love

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still use moleskin. The only exception is when I am using a big fluffy beater, then I don't use anything on the head at all.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've been using them for year as well. They really work nice. I also cut them to fit to use on hoop mount items where it contacts the hoop itself for protection of the hoop/inlay.

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
I've been using them for year as well. They really work nice. I also cut them to fit to use on hoop mount items where it contacts the hoop itself for protection of the hoop/inlay.
Yup. That's all I ever used them for: to protect bass drum hoop marring from pedal attachment at the bottom of the hoop, and cowbell mounting rash at the top of the bass drum hoop.

I use Falam-type patches for the beater strikes on the bass drum head -- they hold up much longer due to their resistance to heat as a result of friction between bass drum head and beater impact.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Consider, if in a pinch, using those large band aids (like 2" x 3") - they stick on, have some extra padding in the middle and probably would work, too.......
and you can get like 10 for $1 at the dollar store.....worth trying, no?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, let's see how it holds up in my case.
Found an older thread:

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found a little tin of 60s moleskin, it's better stuff than what they make now, lasts longer.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used them for a brief period because I loved the retro look and the knowledge that for a time that was the only way drummers protected their heads. I stopped pretty much immediately, though, because they didn't last a full set and I might as well have put nothing on the head at all.

Latest posts