Money: Drums v. Cymbals

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can get by with cheap drums, except possibly the snare. The only second tier cymbals that are quite usable are Paiste 900 series and even a few of their PST offerings. Zildjian really only offers a pro line and a low end line. Another place to look, however, is the Sabian SR2 series; one caveat: you need to hear what you’re going to buy them, as they could be one of several mystery cymbals only described by diameter, type and weight. If you’re buying used, you can get a LOT of Zildjian for your money.

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
Nothing like pairing a Ludwig Supra-phonic with a good set of old Zildjian cymbals on any kit. Time and battle tested!!!

NedPotterDrums

Reaction score
Agree with all that's been said - mid-level kits these days are ridiculously good, and an entry-level kit with Evans UV2s on (or whatever) will sound really good.

Cymbals are worth investing in and for me personally the ride cymbal would always be where I'd push the budget, as it's a big part of the drummer's self-expression...

Also one thing it took me literally two decades to learn - a good snare can be tuned all sorts of ways! You don't need a picollo, a deep snare, a brass, a maple. I mean it's fantastic to have all those of course, but if you have say 600 pounds / dollars to spend, it's better to buy one really good snare than 3 okay ones of all different types. Because the really good one can sound like 10 different drums with tuning / head choice / muffling.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Agree with all that's been said - mid-level kits these days are ridiculously good, and an entry-level kit with Evans UV2s on (or whatever) will sound really good.

Cymbals are worth investing in and for me personally the ride cymbal would always be where I'd push the budget, as it's a big part of the drummer's self-expression...

Also one thing it took me literally two decades to learn - a good snare can be tuned all sorts of ways! You don't need a picollo, a deep snare, a brass, a maple. I mean it's fantastic to have all those of course, but if you have say 600 pounds / dollars to spend, it's better to buy one really good snare than 3 okay ones of all different types. Because the really good one can sound like 10 different drums with tuning / head choice / muffling.
£600 would be a PILE of money for a drum LOL

You’re very much right on the money, pun intended!

NedPotterDrums

Reaction score

You’re very much right on the money, pun intended!
I used to try and own several different mid-range snare drums for different scenarios, and then I spent £500 on a Gretsch USA bronze, and it was just soooo much better than the other stuff I had that I never used any of the others! Didn't matter what the style of song was. A 14 x 6.5 USA tuned tight sounds better than a mid-range drum with a shallower depth etc...

(UK drum prices are generally awful compared to US prices, from what I can see.)

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to try and own several different mid-range snare drums for different scenarios, and then I spent £500 on a Gretsch USA bronze, and it was just soooo much better than the other stuff I had that I never used any of the others! Didn't matter what the style of song was. A 14 x 6.5 USA tuned tight sounds better than a mid-range drum with a shallower depth etc...

(UK drum prices are generally awful compared to US prices, from what I can see.)
I have spent a LOT of time in England, so I get where you’re coming from.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not THAT MUCH for a drum.

A Black Beauty goes for £800+. A Supra £650+. British Drum Company Merlin is £600

So yeah, it's a lot of money, but nowhere near out of the range of a high-end production snare drum.

NedPotterDrums

Reaction score
Agree, I have a Noble & Cooley on order which is costing £1199 :blink:

I do think £500 is the sort of point of diminishing returns... A £500 snare will sound amazing. Anything beyond that is subtle and about personal preferences and specific requirements.

I choose £600 for this example because it made the '3 snares for £200 each' counter example easier on the maths :D

j. bruno

Reaction score
Hello! My first time posting here. As a guitar player my purchasing philosophy is 30-40% on a guitar and 60-70%. A great amp can make a cheap guitar (Silvertone) sound great but great guitar can't make a cheap amp sound great.What are your thoughts on cymbals and drums? Not considering hardware Of course all is subjective! Thanks for all replies!
Cheap drums can be tuned, different heads can be used for different sounds. Cymbals can't.

j. bruno

Reaction score
I used to play out a lot and the sound man at TT Bears (Boston) once told me at one soundcheck that my drums were some of the best sounding he had ever heard. 12,13,16 80's Tama Imperialstar toms (standard size) with a 22" Swingstar bass drum.