monitor suggestions

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm relatively new to the world of e-drums. So far I've gotten by a-ok playing through headphones, but recently I've had my guitarists over and would like to get something so I could play audibly. They're using small practice amps. Researching options online I found the Roland PM-100 and PM-200, as well as a Behringer Eurolive B112D. One of these days we might use Yamaha Sessioncakes or another mixer + headphone set up, but for now I'd like a monitor.

What have you used and enjoyed? Anything to avoid?

Tymp2002

Reaction score
Avoid all guitar amps, all bass amps, and drum amps that cost less than $300. Cheap drum amps sound cheap.

You don't have to go with drum amps, but if you do, get one in the $300-$500 range. The Roland PM-100 and PM-200 fall into this category. And you get the Roland legendary quality, reliability, and re-sale value. (Same with their e-drums.) But there are other good choices as well.

Keyboard amps are ok too, and what I used before. (Roland KA-500)

On the high-end, and the most expensive, is a good quality PA system with sub-woofer.

If it were me, I would go with one that has the connectivity and power to use as one of the speakers of a PA system. For example, start with one Simmons DA2012B, and later add another when you are ready for stereo sound. Then if/when your band plays live, add a sub-woofer.

My 2 cents. Here is some expert advice:

65 Drums - Drum Amps

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! This is helpful stuff
Avoid all guitar amps, all bass amps, and drum amps that cost less than $300. Cheap drum amps sound cheap.

You don't have to go with drum amps, but if you do, get one in the $300-$500 range. The Roland PM-100 and PM-200 fall into this category. And you get the Roland legendary quality, reliability, and re-sale value. (Same with their e-drums.) But there are other good choices as well.

Keyboard amps are ok too, and what I used before. (Roland KA-500)

On the high-end, and the most expensive, is a good quality PA system with sub-woofer.

If it were me, I would go with one that has the connectivity and power to use as one of the speakers of a PA system. For example, start with one Simmons DA2012B, and later add another when you are ready for stereo sound. Then if/when your band plays live, add a sub-woofer.

My 2 cents. Here is some expert advice:

65 Drums - Drum Amp

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Stock "what speaker" post:

--
• Home: headphones (or a PA if you *really* need speakers)
• Rehearsal: a PA
• Live: a PA

Minimum of 12" woofers, speakers on stands, tweeters at ear height. Test by playing Prodigy's Firestarter thru at full pelt. (as for make and model - that depends on your budget)

Avoid cheapo things with Bluetooth and don't be swayed by things advertised as "drum" amps as most are just overpriced active floor wedges/speakers with a badge stuck on.

Oh, and if you see something that says 2000W output - see what its power consumption is

A PA is the most flexible and can provide multiband EQ, FX etc. And somewhere for your band mates to plug in. And, depending where you live and your patience you don't have to spend much:

pa.png

Super_Freak

Reaction score
I've used/own many of the e-drum amps out there. It's been my never-ending quest to find the best sounding and portable drum amp for my various situations.

For the last few years I've been satisfied with the Simmons DA2012B (there's a newer model now). I use it as a stage monitor for live gigs and also for jam sessions when a PA is not needed or available.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a good deal on a Roland KC-550 on Reverb. Pretty wild that Sam Ash in GA is going to ship it to me on the west coast for $30, but I'm not complaining. the 550 is probably overkill, but I expect it will be useful down the road if I ever incorporate electronics into a live set up.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
I had 1 KC-500 and a KC-550, they're big and heavy and I don't think the 'sound' out of them is very good/nice.
If the guitars are using small practice amps why not just go with:

That way you can all hear each other MUCH better than if its amp'd - and lots easier to record your sessions, if you want to listen back and critique. Down side its at least as expensive as the KC-550. :(