Mono bag

publius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I experienced my first cracked cymbal recently. I don't know how it happened, but it cracked at the edge, and i think it may have had to do with the bag hitting the ground. I have a pretty nice Humes & Berg bag.

Has anyone used one of these? I like the plastic "boot" that protects cymbals from even the roughest handling. They're not cheap, but neither are cymbals

http://monocreators.com/cymbal/

apcpa2000

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got one a about 6 months ago. I love it. I wad always had a Zildjian Cymbal Safe, and hated having to load things in through the post in the middle. The Mono bag is great in my opinion.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought one from a forum member here a while back and it is a great cymbal bag, and is very well made. The model I have is before they had cymbal pockets and the 'protector'.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even mess with a padded bag. Get a case. The hard case is much more knock and drop resistant, the cymbals don't even touch the edges and it wont split at the sewn seams or have zippers break. If you are lugging around $1k+ in cymbals(close to $2k if you have lots of cymbals), you don't really want to mess around.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/skb-skb-cv8-roto-x-cymbal-vault?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAiA8dDEBRDf19yI97eO0UsSJAAY_yCSRD_jcX5_qZLe5pRuLe7sD8F5sThtmFi4vqkRZhJ_OBoCmOjw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^156717928496-device^c-plaid^140857969701-sku^544591000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

(Kb)

Reaction score
Love the Mono bag. Well thought out extra pockets, the dividers on the inside are low profile and also more forgiving with rivets than fluffy, high-pile fleece, etc. I'm constantly swapping cymbals out, and find it really easy to do. Love having a backpack bag to keep hands free for other stuff.

The plastic boot is nice. It's not going to save a decent drop and direct hit on an edge, but the everyday scrapes and shifts and looseness that happen with a floppy old cymbal bag are a non issue - you can be a little more cavalier with the Mono.

The Mono can get big/deep when loaded up with a bunch of cymbals and stuff in the pockets, but any decently padded bag will... If you're only carrying 2-3 cymbals however (I am most of the time), there's room to squeeze in some sticks, a tablet, folder of charts, etc.

There's no substitute for a hard case of course, especially if other people are touching/moving your cymbals more than you. But they suck to carry and load/unload if you're doing the handling.

I always found it helpful in softer cymbal bags to fold up a towel in the bottom and fan it out a little, either side-to-side or front-to-back, depending on how cymbals sit in the bag.

drumrman2002

Reaction score
I should of checked out the Mono bags more closely. I saw some on ebay, but didn't recognize the brand name so I passed over them. I ended up getting a couple of bags used that were great deals though. A Road Runner bag with wheels and dividers and a Zildjian Cymbal Safe (hard shell of course-not a bag) Both were fairly new and in excellent shape, and the pair came in at $70.00 including shipping. Couldn't pass'em up. Since buying more cymbals, I've needed additional storage.

If my 'GAS' attacks persist, I may look into buying a Mono.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use the SKB hardcase. It holds 22s with ease and is great protection against what you experienced.

MONO bag - if you only need one bag for all your cymbals, you need more cymbals ;)

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have that same grey Mono bag and like it a lot. As others said, it's not as much protection as a hard case, but IMO it is the best protection per weight among the soft bag cases that I've seen. Best for a smaller array of cymbals, like I'd say no more than a couple of 20-22's plus no more than about four under-20's, fewer if you've got a china. It does have separate pockets for both hats and splashes.

Latest posts