header.nohb.html

Monroe Ludwig Question

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Those Classic Birch were awesome.I miss the Ludwig shells of the 80's and 90's. I still have my 6-plys that I bought from 1997. They kinda sorta have the 3-ply sound, but they'll let your bandmates know who's in charge. :)

-Ryan

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
tama1310707 said:
Quick question for the Ludwig Monroe owners: Does anyone know if Ludwig made any kicks with small classic lugs? I have a 26/14/16/18 that I just grabbed and I'm trying to figure out if it's legit or not. All 4 drums have matching small classic lugs and Monroe badges.
To the OP's original question, yes, Ludwig made/makes Monroe badged Classic Maples with small classic lugs in all sizes, including 26" drums. Not the greatest, but here are some pics of a 14 x 26 I owned with small classic lugs.
226416_2085598497227_2999259_n.jpg 249657_2085600457276_3613120_n.jpg 294129_2450633022862_82012407_n.jpg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I must admit that I am not a fan of small classic lugs unless they are on 12" toms and under or snare drums that 6.5x14 and up. I'm sure it adds weight and bulk but I love the look of a big chunky classic lug! Lol....

dangermoney

Reaction score
I like both. Had two kits with the classic lugs and two kits with the mini classic lugs.

I even like Ludwig kits with the mach lugs.

Heck, I just love Ludwig kits ...

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Rocker Pro/Classic Birch shell was originally a finnish birch/poplar mix. The later ones were all birch.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
tama1310707 said:
Quick question for the Ludwig Monroe owners: Does anyone know if Ludwig made any kicks with small classic lugs? I have a 26/14/16/18 that I just grabbed and I'm trying to figure out if it's legit or not. All 4 drums have matching small classic lugs and Monroe badges.
My Monroe Classic Maple is ALL small Classic lugged (except the snare, because I specified tubes for that one)...

gallery_153_25_420325.jpg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
TomR said:
The mystery about my kit has been solved. Thank you to everyone who contributed in this thread; it helped lead me to the answer.

I knew mine weren't Classic Maple shells (I own an actual set of CM). My initial research suggested they were Super Classics. The seller said they were early Monroe shells. Now I know they are Classic Birch series (verified via Ludwig catalog), made in 1998, in Midnight Black finish, silver keystone badge, with elite lugs and mounts. Even though I was hoping they were Super Classics, they are still very nice sounding drums.

On a side note, I cannot find any evidence that Rocker/Rocker II series ever used a keystone badge.

TomR said:
The mystery about my kit has been solved. Thank you to everyone who contributed in this thread; it helped lead me to the answer.

I knew mine weren't Classic Maple shells (I own an actual set of CM). My initial research suggested they were Super Classics. The seller said they were early Monroe shells. Now I know they are Classic Birch series (verified via Ludwig catalog), made in 1998, in Midnight Black finish, silver keystone badge, with elite lugs and mounts. Even though I was hoping they were Super Classics, they are still very nice sounding drums.

On a side note, I cannot find any evidence that Rocker/Rocker II series ever used a keystone badge.
If they are Classic Birch they are 100% Birch shells. If they're Rocker Pro they're a composite of Birch and Merranti.
The shell changed during the "Rocker Pro-era", so there are some 100% Birch shells that are Rocker Pro's, butt the name was changed soon after, to reflect that change and to better bring the kit into line with the new naming of the drums (Classic Maple / Classic Birch).
Most of the Rocker Pro's are the composite shell, though and all of the Classic Birch's are 100%.

Elvis

rudy mild

Reaction score

yea rudymild here in detroit.
just bought 1998 ludwig
hunter green birch ( no wrap)
22.12.14.16. 14 x 6 1/4.
original hardware.
its double silver keystone badges.
yes mini lugs on all except snare.
it did not come with kick pedal.
i bought a vintage ped but
dont kno if it is correct to thet kit

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Rudy,

You have an early Classic Birch kit.
'98 or '99 is when the Rocker Pro became the Classic Birch, but the badge you describe is the CB badge (Rocker badge was completely different).
According to the '98 catalogue (check with The Vintage Drum Guide), your drums are finished in Emerald Green. It is a gorgeous finish.
Ludwig would allow the option of either small or large Classic lugs, when ordering a kit, in those days.

Elvis

Last edited:

rudy mild

Reaction score
Rudy,

You have an early Classic Birch kit.
'98 or '99 is when the Rocker Pro became the Classic Birch, but the badge you describe is the CB badge (Rocker badge was completely different).
According to the '98 catalogue (check with The Vintage Drum Guide), your drums are finished in Emerald Green. It is a gorgeous finish.
Ludwig would allow the option of either small or large Classic lugs, when ordering a kit, in those days.

Elvis
yea hey elvis.

rudy mild

Reaction score
yea hey elvis.
the kit is marked on all
drums 1998. drums have
no wrap and hunter green
is called out as color.i believe
you are referring to Emerald
green sparkle. inside has a
clear coat ( varnish ? )
thx for your response
please check me out on this.
thx again sincerely RUDYMILD

rudy mild

Reaction score
If they are Classic Birch they are 100% Birch shells. If they're Rocker Pro they're a composite of Birch and Merranti.
The shell changed during the "Rocker Pro-era", so there are some 100% Birch shells that are Rocker Pro's, butt the name was changed soon after, to reflect that change and to better bring the kit into line with the new naming of the drums (Classic Maple / Classic Birch).
Most of the Rocker Pro's are the composite shell, though and all of the Classic Birch's are 100%.

Elvis
thats great info brotherman.
i thank you again.
jus before i bought the 98
ludwigs i picked up gretchs
catalina maple ( spelled rite ? )
and tuning that kit is beyond
me. 22,10,12,14,16. i think kit was made 2020. soon afterwards i
.bought the birch ludwigs and
man what a difference.the ludwigs
tuned up with no prob and sound great.
thx again i hope the new year is good for you.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
yea hey elvis.
the kit is marked on all
drums 1998. drums have
no wrap and hunter green
is called out as color.i believe
you are referring to Emerald
green sparkle. inside has a
clear coat ( varnish ? )
thx for your response
please check me out on this.
thx again sincerely RUDYMILD
I'm quoting the Rocker offerings as seen in the 1998 Ludwig catalogue.
This catalogue was printed before the advent of the Rocker Pro, but its the newest one from that era that I can currently find.
The finishes shown are all lacquer finishes and it shows "Emerald Green" as an offering (although "Hunter Green" rings a distant bell. Could be the same finish, renamed for the CB series).
Are you sure your drums were made in '98?
Things happened pretty quickly in those years, but I'm starting to think Classic Birch may not have come into being until early 1999....just can't be sure anymorre. Too many years.

Vintage Snare Drums online Ludwig Rockers Drum Set Catalog - Ludwig Rockers (vintagedrumguide.com)

Elvis

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
PICTURES