Moody Blues live 1968--what kind of cymbals?

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a very nice performance by the Moody Blues on French TV in 1968.
What kind of cymbals is Graeme Edge using here? I'm guessing Paiste, but it's just a guess. They don't really sound like Zildjians to me.
Interesting that his supraphonic already shows signs of pitting, and it's probably only, at most, four or five years old.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sound like lighter Zildjians to me too......50's? The Paiste 602's were also 20% bronze and were not far in tone from the Zildjians. Video time 41:50 during Knights in White Satin beginning shows the best ride close up......lots of hammering and heavy patina. It might have been around for a while.

Very nice set performed by the Moodys. Great video of those times.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Even harder to guess what those mic's are ?

He claims to have always used " Zildjian" cymbals in this MD interview . You have to scroll down quite a way to read it . I've seen these Oyster Ludwigs and crash rides in other vintage footage, so we can assume its not a backline kit .

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
seems he always liked the big 20 on the left' probably easier to reach ' ) That 68 cymbal does looks unzildjian the 70 shows look Zildjian. He's a good drummer I like the Graeme. Cn't spell his first name tho

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did you start with something to say and then changed your mind, or did you go to the trouble of replying just to tell us this?
Just saying I did not care for how the cymbals sounded. Sorry.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Always one of my favorites.
Sound Zildjian-ey to me too. I like em whatever they are.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like like 'em too. The cymbal sound I got very used to hearing in the late 60's into the mid-70's. These Moody Blues only made it into RRHoF in 2018.....what a crime.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score

Latest posts