Moon Gel substance?

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the substance is that Moon Gel pads are made and where to get it if I don't want to pay for a Moon Gel pad with their frame and all? Is it some kind of silicone? It seems to be the substance used for "sticky," stretchy stuff that sticks to windows and refrigerators, etc. I got some of those in a variety pack of images related to school, for children, like pencils and stuff. Sticks to a drum head really well. But, I have only seen those in very small items, nothing as large as a Moon Gel pad. Plus, I don't want to mute drum heads. I want totally silent practice pads for making another practice pad set and I don't want to spend the money for multiple pads buying Moon Gel pads.

I've experimented with all kinds of pads and covering on pads, made from different types of rubber, plus fabric to quiet things down, stuff I can get at Walmart. It's okay but, not as silent as a Moon Gel pad. I have not found anything as quiet as those. But I want to make another pad set with multiple pads for a range of motion. At $35 ea., that's just too much to spend, especially for a diehard D.I.Yer, like me. :)

Thanks for any info..

jmato

Reaction score
I suspect you have done this already, but try mesh heads. They will be as quiet as any muffled or covered regular head, if not quieter.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
A clerk at my favorite shop from long ago told me the funniest story regarding moon gel practice pads. One day a guy came in to the shop with his girlfriend. The girlfriend was attractive and well there were certain features of hers that the clerk was trying to determine if real or not ;) when the guy checked out he stood and squished the moon gel pad that was on the counter and said "man what's this made of? I've felt this stuff somewhere" Can't make that stuff up!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
It was developed by DuPont for NASA and was used to patch the seems on the landing modules to keep the life giving atmosphere inside from leaking out into the perfect vacuum of space.

budrock

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A clerk at my favorite shop from long ago told me the funniest story regarding moon gel practice pads. One day a guy came in to the shop with his girlfriend. The girlfriend was attractive and well there were certain features of hers that the clerk was trying to determine if real or not ;) when the guy checked out he stood and squished the moon gel pad that was on the counter and said "man what's this made of? I've felt this stuff somewhere" Can't make that stuff up!

Hahaha. That is funny!

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I suspect you have done this already, but try mesh heads. They will be as quiet as any muffled or covered regular head, if not quieter.
That would be great for a drum set footprint. I just use a plywood platform that sits on a snare stand and has six small pads on it 5"- 9".

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was developed by DuPont for NASA and was used to patch the seems on the landing modules to keep the life giving atmosphere inside from leaking out into the perfect vacuum of space.
Interesting. Dupont must sell it as some kind of product that the Moon Gel company buys through some distributor.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know if this is true, but I'm going with this from now on.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Have you tried rubber pads - I know they make them that fit on top of the drums (or they used to) - maybe get a few mouse pads and put on top of the drums - not sure if they will feel perfect though or give you good rebound.

As for MG itself, check out Wiki:

"Moongels are made from 53% PVC copolymer resin, 27% Dioctyl Terephthalate, 2.5% Epoxied Soybean Oil, 3% Calcium-Zinc Stabilizers, 7% PVC-based Thixotrope and 7.5% Adipate Plasticizer-based Thixotrope. Gel of this composition is commercially available from WRS SportsMed, a division of WRS Group, Inc."

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.
Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture,should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:
  • itching
  • vertigo
  • dizziness
  • tingling in extremities
  • loss of balance or coordination
  • slurred speech
  • temporary blindness
  • profuse sweating
  • or heart palpitations
If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelterand cover head.

Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special containerand kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of HappyFun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company, GlobalChemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing green substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.
Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I've mentioned it before, but here in China you can buy a whole roll of tape made of similar (but slightly less flexible I feel) material in some grocery stores. Intended use was to affix things, like a removable double-sided duct tape, but hey, duct tape. :hello2:

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
The blue gel foam is sold as a foam for upholstery/seats. My drummer friend r.i.p. made a drum seat outta that stuff for me. He gave me a hunk of it and I cut it into small rectangle/squares just like moon gel. I honestly don't dampen my toms and I either play my snares wide open or muffle using a ring.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you tried rubber pads - I know they make them that fit on top of the drums (or they used to) - maybe get a few mouse pads and put on top of the drums - not sure if they will feel perfect though or give you good rebound.

As for MG itself, check out Wiki:

"Moongels are made from 53% PVC copolymer resin, 27% Dioctyl Terephthalate, 2.5% Epoxied Soybean Oil, 3% Calcium-Zinc Stabilizers, 7% PVC-based Thixotrope and 7.5% Adipate Plasticizer-based Thixotrope. Gel of this composition is commercially available from WRS SportsMed, a division of WRS Group, Inc."
Thanks for that. I have tried all kinds of rubber pads for practice pads from kitchen mats to floor mats, etc. Some more quiet than others. Nothing beats Moon Gel, that I have found, anyway. Especially with a face cloth over it. Very quiet. I'm looking for zero bounce, and I just want to feel them, not hear them. If I can't get any of the gel stuff, I may try foams next, like chair foam with something on it to protect it from all the friction.