Moon on Ludwigs with High Numbers in '64

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Amazing.
Townsend's windmill was already there, Moon's style was already there, Daltry's stage presence was already there.
Was that Entwhistle on bass?

They actually sounded very good for a basement band...

chetatkinsdiet

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I ran across that by accident. Our band was looking to do that tune and I found it. Really cool...

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My dad used to go and see them at that time at the Watford Trade Union hall, he used to have a drink with them at the bar during the break. He was a proper Mod with his Lambretta TV 175, worked as a tailor in Saville Row!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Moonie had the faraway bi-polar look in his eye, even then.

Fantastic historical footage, thanks!

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My dad used to go and see them at that time at the Watford Trade Union hall, he used to have a drink with them at the bar during the break. He was a proper Mod with his Lambretta TV 175, worked as a tailor in Saville Row!
Now that's cool!!!
Lambretta, drinks with the Who and tailor at Saville Row!!! :notworthy:
/L

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now that's cool!!!
Lambretta, drinks with the Who and tailor at Saville Row!!! :notworthy:
/L
He saw the beatles at the BBC before they were really famous (he wasn't very impressed!!!) and he went to all the England games in 66. He got around a bit, you could say he DID the 60s. :-D

teenagebrain

Reaction score
Great Footage...and for all of you who have record players...FIND THIS HIGH NUMBERS "FAN CLUB" L.P. RECORD!!! Keith on Ludwig Drums!!! YEA!!!

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Personally, I was never impressed by Keith as a drummer. To my view, he just did 10,000 roll-rounds in every song and for me, it got very boring after awhile. To me, Hal Blaine, Dino Danelli of The Rascals and Mel Taylor of The Ventures were much better musical drummers. I know I'm in the minority, but thats ok.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
This footage was shot by Chris Stamp and Kit Lambert. They were looking for a band to use in a movie that they were trying to finance and came across the Who/High Numbers. They were so impressed that they dropped the movie idea and decided to manage the band instead.
Retrosonic, I understand what you're saying...Moon is an acquired taste. I love his playing personally. I recommend checking out the Kilburn 77 DVD, which includes a show they did at the London Colisseum in '69. It might change your opinion of Moon---he is like a machine in that show, albeit an arm waving, stick twirling machine!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
It's about the VIBE they put out as a GROUP and the SONGS they created together.

The blokes in The Who probably shouldn't be singled out for individual virtuosity on their instruments - they were a force TOGETHER and that's what made them a success.

lovethemGretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that video ... very cool !
- They were a well-dresed gang of rebel punks back then !!!

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That prevailing anti-moon "wisdom" about "flailing & rolling all over" from some drummers is a cartoon & a joke - I sorta expect music writers to buy that bunk not drummers. Always disappointing to read and I can only read it so many times without piping up.

...anything in the pre tommy mod mode is sharp & on point. Go learn Happy Jack, Pics of Lily or Kids Are Alright & figure out out perfectly orchestrated it is.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
That was really great. Thanks for posting! Also for moon doubters check out the b sides of Tommy, the underture etc, really clean drumming on those.
I also agree with Steven's point about as a band together, the whole is bigger than the sum of the parts. So true with many bands. And Dan, yes that was the Ox on that clip.

Latest posts