Moongels on Remo coated heads...

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've gone back to playing Remo heads after playing Evans forever it seems.I'm using their Ambassador Coated VINTAGE head.

I've used Moongels since they came out.I cut'em in half...1/3's...just enough to dial the drum in for my taste...I never had ANY issue with this product sticking to any Evans head.

Totally different deal with Remo however...they DON'T/WON'T stick...or if they WILL stick it takes effort & time in order to do so...a PITA.

Anyone else have this problem?

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not really, although they have to be clean to stick properly on my REMO coated heads. Personally I've almost stopped using them but that's another subject for another thread. I read that some use then on bass drums but I haven't been able to make that work. LOL

sherm

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I'm wondering if Remo changed their coating, because I (and a few others here) have noticed that Drumdots no longer stick, either.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've gone back to playing Remo heads after playing Evans forever it seems.I'm using their Ambassador Coated VINTAGE head.

I've used Moongels since they came out.I cut'em in half...1/3's...just enough to dial the drum in for my taste...I never had ANY issue with this product sticking to any Evans head.

Totally different deal with Remo however...they DON'T/WON'T stick...or if they WILL stick it takes effort & time in order to do so...a PITA.

Anyone else have this problem?
Yes, the coating on Remo has slightly larger grit than Evans so there is air under the Moongel that will not let it fully stick. Try taking a small piece of 400 grit sandpaper and sanding the spot you are putting the Moongel on top of. I honestly don't use Moongels or Meinl Honey anymore, I use Aquarian Tone Dots on the toms and Zero Ring on my snare. I play Vintage Emperor Clears on my toms and place the smaller clear diameter Aquarian Tone Dots about 1" from the edge of the head. The snare I use a 1" Remo Zero ring.