MORE COWBELL!

johnnyboy316

Reaction score
This question may have been asked before, but I will ask it again. What is your one favorite (repeating, ONE) favorite recording, featuring a cowbell, setting the pace of the hit song? I'll answer my own question later.

94a9680a96bb8b79362fb93f42b586e1.jpg

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
So the song can’t be a deep cut, or feature cowbell showing up later in the song after the pace has already been set, no matter how cherished the song? :scratch:

Taking liberties with your set up, I pick this one, beginning at 5:20.

I used to crank this one loud enough to rattle the whole house from the basement everyday after school in 10th grade.

KingLudwig

Reaction score
This question may have been asked before, but I will ask it again. What is your one favorite (repeating, ONE) favorite recording, featuring a cowbell, setting the pace of the hit song? I'll answer my own question later.

View attachment 433811
" Rock of Ages "
Pyromania ( Jan.1983)
Def Leppard
Rick Allen - Drums

I just love the syncopated beat between the bass drum & snare. Check it out for yourself;

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I love this stuff. I had the pleasure of meeting Ray Santos several times as well as hearing his music performed. The cowbell is so suited to mambo and latin music. I NEED......more cowbell.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
A bunch of great ones already mentioned, but this one by Van Halen is a favorite from my youth. The intro is cool, then the breakdown around 2:00 has a Latin vibe with a couple cowbells underneath, or maybe agogo bells? Idk - it was between this and Loverboy's "Working For The Weekend" so....

KingLudwig

Reaction score
A bunch of great ones already mentioned, but this one by Van Halen is a favorite from my youth. The intro is cool, then the breakdown around 2:00 has a Latin vibe with a couple cowbells underneath, or maybe agogo bells? Idk - it was between this and Loverboy's "Working For The Weekend" so....

Rock a cha cha!

johnnyboy316

Reaction score
Ok, here's my favorite: "You Can't Do That" by The Beatles. I will bet, Ringo was hitting a Ludwig cowbell.

johnnyboy316

Reaction score
I think it was Paul on cowbell for that one.

(Aren't you glad I didn't say Bernard :pirate: )
Yep, you're right about Paul playing the cowbell. I assumed it was Ringo, because he liked to play other percussion instruments on Beatles recordings. He played bongos on "You Can't Do That" besides his drums.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
More Mule. Woody Allen on bass.
Even included cowbell solo. I'm not sure who brought the whistle.

Last edited: