More hats in monitor?

Kln_BC

Reaction score
Hey all. So when I practice I run it through my recording setup (mics/mixer) and wear in-ears to cut the volume. I'm currently using 2 overheads and a kick mic and I really like the mix I get, but I always find my hihats get a bit lost. I've tried shifting the mics around but that throws off everything else so I don't really want to do that.

I seem to always read that people find the hats are overbearing in the mix, but mine are always quiet...is it just my hats not cutting (15" K Light)? I don't know what I'm doing wrong here...

I do have one more mic I could just throw on the hats I guess...was on my snare but I found it just made the snare overkill as the overheads balanced it really well.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all. So when I practice I run it through my recording setup (mics/mixer) and wear in-ears to cut the volume. I'm currently using 2 overheads and a kick mic and I really like the mix I get, but I always find my hihats get a bit lost. I've tried shifting the mics around but that throws off everything else so I don't really want to do that.

I seem to always read that people find the hats are overbearing in the mix, but mine are always quiet...is it just my hats not cutting (15" K Light)? I don't know what I'm doing wrong here...

I do have one more mic I could just throw on the hats I guess...was on my snare but I found it just made the snare overkill as the overheads balanced it really well.
If you using Ableton there is an EQ setting called "Boost Hi-Hats" I use a 4 mic setup. A kick, snare & 2 overheads, left & right, panned hard left & hard right. I drop that into the left side overhead. It does the trick.

Kln_BC

Reaction score
Well just for kicks I went out and tried some different hats today and swapped my k lights for k mastersounds (I've been wanted to try them for quite awhile). Set them up and played them and what a difference! They cut through everything...much happier. Always had a feeling it was just the hats not being quite to my liking...now I know.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Imititate Dave Abrusse with Pearl Jam and smash the living beejesus out of your hi hats like a biker in a bar fight and you'll be fine..

Kln_BC

Reaction score
Imititate Dave Abrusse with Pearl Jam and smash the living beejesus out of your hi hats like a biker in a bar fight and you'll be fine..
LOL that was my initial solution. Then I was like "damn, I'm really mashing these hats the get them to cut, that's probably not ok."

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well just for kicks I went out and tried some different hats today and swapped my k lights for k mastersounds (I've been wanted to try them for quite awhile). Set them up and played them and what a difference! They cut through everything...much happier. Always had a feeling it was just the hats not being quite to my liking...now I know.
You beat me to it. I was about to say it could be the hats your using but I was about to suggest a smaller size. Mine are 13" and in opinion easier to use BUT that also depends on style of music and the person playing them.

Glad you found the trick,
sherm

Kln_BC

Reaction score
You beat me to it. I was about to say it could be the hats your using but I was about to suggest a smaller size. Mine are 13" and in opinion easier to use BUT that also depends on style of music and the person playing them.

Glad you found the trick,
sherm
I actually LOVE the K 13's...used to have a pair. Just could never get used to the size; couldn't find a comfortable compromise between reaching farther and/or moving my foot closer. I wound up using them as a second pair on the right side of my kit and eventually sold them.

The k mastersounds are great though...really digging them so far. A lot of cut for a K that's for sure.

Latest posts