More love for Stage Customs

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had my SC kit in the studio last night, recording some music beds for a new promo video for the band. We used a snare mic, kick drum mic mounted internally (my live set up), and two overheads. This kit records like a dream! Very easy to get up and running with very minimal tuning. Punchy tone with just the right amount of sustain. His place has a nice high ceiling, so that contributed as well. But it was a pleasure having this kit in there. Snares were an early 1980s Acrolite and a late 1960s Hollywood Ace.

Anyone else record with their Stage Customs?

1A899C93-ACD2-4E43-B6B8-3B703D3E4052.jpeg

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree BUT I tried using the matching snare. I couldn’t get a good sound out of it for recording so I ended up using my 8x14 Recording Custom birch snare. The rest of the kit sang like a little bird. That’s a good thing.

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a Stage Custom bop kit when playing out. I love them.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree BUT I tried using the matching snare. I couldn’t get a good sound out of it for recording so I ended up using my 8x14 Recording Custom birch snare. The rest of the kit sang like a little bird. That’s a good thing.
Ha! I've done the exact same — tracked with my SCB bops but used my 8x14" RC snare (gloss black, late 1980s SD-980RP). Never had an SC snare before, so I can't speak on using it for anything other than when I've received an SC snare for a backline kit at a gig or rehearsal room (and most of those times, I bring my own snare anyways).

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I like mine, got them about three months ago and until recently used the stock heads, which were fine, went to coated Amb. made and improvement. Mine are in white, which according to the Yamaha website the 22" shell pack is sold out at the moment.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha. This is timely. See my recent rant post

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the matching snare as well but it’s not really ready for prime time yet. Strangely enough, I have a Pearl “Limited Edition” birch that is probably comparable to the SC snare and, tuned high, is great live. It’s a 5 1/2” as opposed to the SC 5”. I also have a RC birch in the collection - 7”, candy apple red, late 1980s - it’s a real beast.