More practice due to lockdowns?

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
More pad work. Can’t play on a kit where I live. Hitting it for 5 min at a time between stuff as I’m working remotely.

So I’m not practicing per se to get better as I am working out to maintain what little I have.

Sadly the last time I had a place I could freely play I’d taken a hiatus. Now I’m more passionate than ever about playing but am all dressed up with no place to groove.

At least I look pretty. Working from home I can finally daily wear all my music-related T-shirts and trucker hats.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Grateful my wife and I can both continue to work from home and remain gainfully employed, but between that and home-schooling my 4 and 8 year old daughters (and trying to keep them busy when not being home-schooled), I'm playing far less than usual. The kicker is I just got myself a 6.5 x 14 hammered black beauty that I've been getting dialled in with new heads and wires. I've got it sounding very sweet and super articulate, and it takes all my will power to not just play it all day. I swear I hear it whispering my name every time I walk past the basement though...

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone practicing more at home due to lockdowns, stay at home, etc?
I know I am. I have been having issues with bad osteoarthritis in my hands for a few yrs now but after practicing more the laat couple of weeks, I am getting more optimistic about continuing to drum for a while. (I’m only 53.) also swapped back to single ply clear tom batters and like it. Was using coated vintage ambassadors. Did some more setup changes for fun too. Added another cymbal in my practice setup.
Oh yes definitely, i am working on my shuffles and re discovered the endless possibilities of grooves. Since i always have 2 kits set-up at all times, one smaller size Rogers kit with a wood dyna tuned high and in the other corner i have a variety of Ludwigs in bigger sizes with a LM 402 that i rotate every wk or so. I spend an hour on the Jazzy Rogers kit and then an hour on the boomy Ludwigs to get the best of both worlds.

Dtucci

Reaction score
Absolutely getting more practice time in and I am pretty happy about it. My Vdrums are now in the living room and on weekends and whenever the rest of the family steps out, I’m on ‘em. I’ve also taken the time to refine the positioning of all of the contact points.
Nothing replaces performing live, for me, but at least when we open up again, I will be a better drummer.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I live in a cabin at 8800 feet elevation in the middle of a pine forest and can practice 24/7 without bothering anyone, so my practice time remains the same. I play in the local university jazz ensemble, which is suspended for the semester, so my practices no longer focus on our course work.

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
Works for me—just glad I’m not into thrash metal and blast beats! The ever new frontier is expression and inspired comping. My wife will throw the mic at me if I slip back to the 79s!

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a shop in an insulated cargo container which I set in in the past 18 months. I've spent more time there since Inslee put out the stay at home order. In the back of the container I created a practice space with drum set, guitar, mandolin and some other instruments. I attached an old flat screen to the wall with shelves underneath for 1200 CDs and shelves above for instructional DVDs. It's an easy walk from the house but hidden behind trees. For the first time in ages I'm practising almost every day. I'm retired but this is the first time I've had a space where I could make some noise without disrupting other family activities.
That sounds awesome!

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
Oh yes definitely, i am working on my shuffles and re discovered the endless possibilities of grooves. Since i always have 2 kits set-up at all times, one smaller size Rogers kit with a wood dyna tuned high and in the other corner i have a variety of Ludwigs in bigger sizes with a LM 402 that i rotate every wk or so. I spend an hour on the Jazzy Rogers kit and then an hour on the boomy Ludwigs to get the best of both worlds.
I’ve done the same with my ‘67 Luddies and a smaller Slingerland Modern Jazz kit, ‘63. The Ludwigs needed more work--including making a sanding board to level the bearing edges (carefully done spin sanding); they were not as carefully standardized and leveled as other makes. Now the heads seat better and any wrinkles are gone.

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve been spending 2-3 hours on the kit daily and I’ve been busy making 60+ instructional videos I upload to youtube for my students. So now I have alot of material ready for current students and future students. It has been a good time to study, learn, practice, reading and organize my teaching material and methods.

Latest posts