More recording ?'s What mikes are people using ?

dirtcity

Reaction score
So combining my guitarist's and I's mics together, we've got a pretty comprehensive set up. We're trying to start remote recording for artists, so we want as much control as possible, then if folks want simple they can just take the mics they want, but they have options.

Kick in: Audix D6
Kick out: Shure Beta 52/experimenting with a Cascade Fathead ribbon
Snare top: Shure SM 57 and Shure KSM 137 SDC
Snare bottom/side address: Shure Beta 56a
Rack tom: Sennheiser 604 on top AND bottom
Floor tom: Sennheiser md421 top, 604 bottom (hoping to get another 421 soon for the rack tom)
Overheads: Audio Technia 4041 SDCs.
Over Shoulder: Audio Hipster AH04 Stereo Ribbon
Stereo room: Audio Technica 2035 LDCs across the room
Mono room: Avantone CV-12 tube condenser in the stairwell.

Our whole list:
Apex 205 ribbon
Audio Hipster AH04 stereo ribbon
Audio Technica 841 UG Omnidirectional Boundary (two)
Audio Technica 2035 LDC stereo pair
Audio Technica 4041 SDC stereo pair
Audix D6
Avantone CV 12 tube LDC
CAD M179 LDC stereo pair
Cascade Fathead ribbon
Revox M3500
Sennheiser E 604 (three)
Sennheiser MD 421
Sennheiser E 901
Shure Beta 52
Shure Beta 56
Shure Beta 58
Shure KSM 137 SDC
Shure SM 7B
Shure SM 57 (three)
Shure SM 58 (two)

It's been a fun experiment!

dirtcity

Reaction score
I swore by it!

Have you checked this out? :
I bought one of those clips! I love it.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After months and months of planning on buying a couple of Shure SM-81’s for OH’s I did an about-face and just pulled the plug on a pair of Aston Starlights. I have not yet received them, but I have high hopes of course. I have 14 days to run them through their paces and determine if I should keep them. If not, I will revert back to my original plan on the tried and true SM-81’s.

The Astons interested me because of the different sound modes they have (Modern, Vintage and Hybrid) and I definitely like the idea of the laser pointer. Of course the laser is not going to tell you everything you need to know about positioning, but it will definitely be a good tool to have.

Up until now these are the mics I have been using:

Overheads: Cascade M39 pair
Bass Drum: Shure Beta 52
Snare: Shure SM57
Room: Behringer B1
Toms: (only if needed) : Audio Technica ATM230’s

The overheads and a bass drum mic are you need to get started if you don’t have any mics. Those cover the majority of the job. That and a mixer with spare channels for growth. :)

The cheap Cascades have been very good for me. They are still good and I will keep them for live work. I had a chance to substitute on a Pink Floyd tribute gig earlier this year. That was a pretty big gig for me and the sound company used SM81’s for OH’s on that gig. Once I returned home and turned on my Cascades all of a sudden they sounded lousy to me. Once you get a taste of the good stuff that’s what you want. My ears have since re-adapted and the Cascades still do sound very decent.

My set up is usually used for practice. The mic’s get plugged into a mixer or recorder and I have my phone as MP’3 player playing the songs I am practicing and I mix myself in to play with the band. Great way to practice. Metronone is on the phone as well.

I have also been doing some recording this year as well and learning a lot about the various aspects of that and having a lot of fun creating new original music with my friends. We put a lot of work into the recordings that probably no one will ever hear. It’s a great experience though.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nady DM-70 for the snare
Shure Beta 52 for the kick
Shure Beta 98AMP for the toms
Audio-Technica AT2020 for the overheads

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
If you want to treat the ceiling on the cheap and not leaving yourself a headache to fix when you move out - they are light and you could probably get them to stay with just a few screws. a little spackling when you move out and you'd be set. you could even reuse the panels at your new spot
Being a rental property & worried about getting their deposit back, I'd highly recommend checking the ceiling, maybe putting one screw in, removing and patching. Previous tenants may also have patched the ceiling or the ceiling may be made of something more difficult to patch. Spackle over spackle on a ceiling sometimes doesn't stick too well. If its a popcorn ceiling and old, screws can put large cracks in the popcorn. And you do need screws for rockwool panels. I tried with t-pins and they are too heavy.
acoustic foam are very light and T-pins work great. Best of all, the holes T-pins leave is so small, just a dot of paint with your finger or even Whiteout is usually all you need to cover the hole left.

TPC

Reaction score
Interface: Arturia AudioFuse 8pre + Behringer ADA8000
Overheads: Earthworks SR25 (2x)
Bass Drum 1: Shure Beta 52A with Earthworks KickPad KP1
Bass Drum 2: Audio Technica AT3035
Snare mic: Earthworks SR25 + Hosa Input Attenuator ATT-448
Tom mic: Shure Beta B56
Floor Tom mic: Electro-Voice RE20
Hi Hat mic: Shure SM81 + Shure SM57
Room mic: Audio Technica AT3035
Dirt mic: Shure SM57
Aha! Another AT3035 user. I swear by my 3035's for (like you) the bass drum. Such a counterintuitive choice, but so effective.

Nice sounds.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For hanging things on rented drywall, monkey hooks are hard to beat. Only a tiny nail sized hole, and they hold quite a bit of weight.

a40d82a7-01e0-4211-b7a0-2271799496bc._CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970__.jpg

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I swore by it!

Have you checked this out? :
I have. Though I haven't ordered one yet - opting instead to just continue getting all kinds of tape residue all over those mics. :)

TPC

Reaction score
In addition to the aforementioned AT3035 on the bass drum ...

Sennheiser e604's on snare, rack, and floor toms.

Apex 435 LDC overheads (don't laugh, I've done side-by-sides with a bunch of "better" mic's, SM81's, AT4040's, etc. and for whatever reason, the Apex's just sound better in my room. Go figure.)

I'll would also sometimes set up a stereo pair of MXL R40 ribbons as rooom mic's. Until I pumped some phantom power through them and reduced their fidelity greatly. These are excellent ribbons for very little money. Just don't hit the phantom power button by mistake!

kaide

Reaction score
I have bought a lot of mics in recent years....
I currently use:
Kick: Telefunken M82 hole / Beyer e901 inside / Yamaha Subkick (also have Shure Beta52)
Snare: Telefunken M80-SH top / Shure SM57 bottom (also have Beyer M201, Shure Beta57)
Toms: Sennheiser e904 (4) (also have Beyerdynamic Opus87 x4)
Overheads: Earthworks SR25 (3), AKG 414XLS (2), Coles 4038 (2)
Room: Shure SM27 (2)
Mono kit: Beyerdynamic M160

ianjphil

Reaction score
Kick In - Beyerdynamic D71c
Kick Out - Beyerdynamic M88 or EV RE20
Snare Top - Beyerdynamic 201 or Telefunken M80SH
Snare Bottom - Sennheiser 609 or SM57
Hats - Beyerdynamic M160 or Beyer MC930
Toms - Beyerdynamic D58c or Telefunken M81SH
Overheads - Shure KSM32’s
Mono Room - AEA N22

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Normal set up for 4 piece kit - single AKG D19C or SM57 overhead, Sennheiser e602 on bass drum.

With concert tom kit - 4 toms mic'd from underneath with SM57's, e602 on bass drum, 2 SM81's overhead.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Like a lot of you, I'm been focussing on a small home rig while I'm not gigging. If I send tracks that's great, but mostly for me it's a way to learn something new and fill up a massive amount of downtime. I've been a live player for almost 40 years. So I'm really feeling this.

So the question.. what everyone using ? Cascade ribbon overheads ? Beta 52's ? 57's on everything ? Large diaphram or smalll diaphram condensors and why ?

Have at it :)
Like a lot of you, I'm been focussing on a small home rig while I'm not gigging. If I send tracks that's great, but mostly for me it's a way to learn something new and fill up a massive amount of downtime. I've been a live player for almost 40 years. So I'm really feeling this.

So the question.. what everyone using ? Cascade ribbon overheads ? Beta 52's ? 57's on everything ? Large diaphram or smalll diaphram condensors and why ?

i have a matched pair of Shure KSM141a overhead. 57 on the snare. 2 Sennheiser MD421s for toms. Shure Beta91a in the bass drum and a Moon mic in front of the bass drum head to capture the lows. Pretty straight forward and reliable. I used to use an AKG 451 on the hi hat, but was happier with just the overheads

cruddola

Reaction score

The best advice I can give is the Audix DP7 kit. Audix and Rode will give you more bang for your buck. So will Presonus. Mic placement is EVERYTHING!! Before anything, consider the location of your recording. Mine sit in the middle of my living room. No closer than 10 feet from any wall. My drums are on a rolling platform. Taylor your mic choice to the room. I borrowed and rented an exhaustive collection of mics to give me what I wanted in MY living room. That said, I ended with a collection that most would not consider purchasing as noted by posts here. I come from the film/video world and have used just about everything available. In MY living room are the following; 2 Audix ADx51 condensers for the overheads, Bass drum gets a D6 as do the two floor toms. All rack toms get a Rode M5 as does the top of the hats. A SM57 on the bottom of the hats. On the snare top is a Rode NT-5. A Rode NTR is used as a room mic. All my mics run into a Soundcraft MFXi 16 mixer then straight into a Tascam SD20M recorder. You can't go wrong with the Audix DP7 kit. I have three complete kits. They get used more than anything else in the studio and in live recordings. Don't even think of wasting tons of dough on anything else as a starting point. The DP7 kit is THE Bomb!

drummsauer

Reaction score
I’m doing the set-it-and-forget-it thing in my drum room.
AKG P240 x 2 for overheads large diaphragm condensers
EV N/D 468 snare top
SM58 with the ball removed snare bottom
SM57 inside the kick
Beta 52a kick reso
CAD M179 x 2 for toms
EV RE200 hi-hats

4 piece Tama kit birch
18 x 16 kick w/ Gibraltar lift
10 x 9 rack
13 x 11 mounted floor
13 x 5 Pearl snare

Zildjian cymbals
22 medium ride Constantinople
18 K custom crash
15 A thin crash
14 k light hats old ‘50s or ‘60s?

Room is a converted patio. 16 x 24 the ceiling has a slight slope. 8 ft at the low end, 10 ft at the high end.

Mainly recording band rehearsals but have done a few sessions. Using a Soundcraft Ui24R as an interface into an old MacBook Pro running Logic. Did a couple of Facebook Live concerts too. Sent a full mix out with the video. Worked pretty good considering no one there to make adjustments during the show.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All rack toms get a Rode M5 as does the top of the hats. A SM57 on the bottom of the hats. On the snare top is a Rode NT-5.
One thing I'd like to comment on: you might run into phase issues here. See other posts, often a hi-hat mic isn't needed at all, let alone two. Or did you mean bottom of the snare?

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a very low budget set it and forget it setup in my basement drum space.

2 x some kind of cheap pencil condensers for OH
1 x SM 57 on the snare
3 x e904 knockoffs on kick, left snare, and floor tom

I had a D112 on the kick but blew it out by using phantom power when I shouldn't have.
I also had an old radio shack boundary mic on the kick, but the internal battery ran out and I haven't replaced it

All that being said, after reading this thread, I screwed around with only using the overheads and kick mic, and the difference upon playback is really minimal. Granted, I have *very* limited mixing/mastering skills, and like a "natural" kit sound more than a modern/isolated drum-by-drum mix, but I'm really finding that the overheads pick up the whole kit quite nicely (two snares, rack tom, floor tom, kick, hats, ride, 2 crashes). Gonna move the SM57 onto the kick to see if it makes a difference.