More wacky ideas

wackjob

Reaction score
After buying a 80's export 16" ft i got to reading about what it is made of. Probably Luan. This is a soft wood and supposedly attenuates low frequency more than birch and maple etc.

So why not give the drum a good application of wood hardener to the inside and outside (after removing wrap and sanding the interior)?

Anyone done this and did it improve the tone any ?

Stu

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a ludwig rocker II snare shell years ago had that granitone interior, It was very boxy sounding. I put about three coats of white spray paint on the inside and it seemed to brighten the tone.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've heard people doing that on lower end snares, too (ie: Gretsch Catalina), to make the sound better.......I don't see why it would not work but I doubt it will make them sound like USA snares. I've seen luan shells where the fundamental tone is awful. A buddy has a vintage set of Tama Rockstars and we are going to refinish them. Vertical grain luan inside and out. The 12, 16 and 22 have a dead thud if you tap the inside (like DW's John Good does), but the 13 actually has a nice tone. I can't explain it but I think lipstick on a pig doesn't change the fact that all you'll have is a prettier pig.

wackjob

Reaction score
I've heard people doing that on lower end snares, too (ie: Gretsch Catalina), to make the sound better.......I don't see why it would not work but I doubt it will make them sound like USA snares. I've seen luan shells where the fundamental tone is awful. A buddy has a vintage set of Tama Rockstars and we are going to refinish them. Vertical grain luan inside and out. The 12, 16 and 22 have a dead thud if you tap the inside (like DW's John Good does), but the 13 actually has a nice tone. I can't explain it but I think lipstick on a pig doesn't change the fact that all you'll have is a prettier pig.
I think i agree with you. The export tom i have does sound more than ok though. Having read about wood hardener i dont think it will do anything useful as the wood needs to be wet for it to work and who knows, it could make things worse. I will just have to use this floor tom as a stop gap until i find a genista or build my own. At least it is an old 80's one which are said to sound better than most exports. I doubt anyone in the audience will know or give a monkeys.

I notice the export shell is quite a bit thicker than the genista's. I used to have an 80's APK set and i presume that would have been made from similar woods to the export.