Most difficult slow tempo song you've known ?

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes, agreed on 3/4 and 6/8. Note that many of the songs mentioned on this old thread are in those time signatures. The Eagles "Take It To The Limit" has both.

My band plays John Mayer's "Gravity," which is a slogging 6/8 with a tricky bass drum part. And what else would you expect from Steve Jordan (studio) and J. J. Johnson (my favorite live version).
BTW, "Gravity" is 40 BPM, if that matters as far as "slowness" goes.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lil' Darlin' has always given me fits....I am generally known for keeping good time, but that tune really kills me everytime...
I had an old & old school director introduce me to and teach me "Little Darlin" at music camp one summer. It was easy as I'd been playing in a dance band(Miller, Basie, Hefti, etc)., and I nailed it. Slowest thing I'd ever dealt with. It was a pure joy to play, and he knew I'd been around some old cats at some posh country clubs. What a composition!

"Bridge of Sighs" another fun song

ChrisBabbitt

Reaction score
For you jazz players, listen to any album by Shirley Horn. Her ballads are impossibly slow. I have to hand it to her amazing drummer, because, by the time you get to "2" you've forgotten where "1" was.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
The tempo is moderately slow....but it's relentlessly steady. Otis Redding's rendition of Try A Little Tenderness is an exercise is self control. Al Jackson junior won my everlasting respect for maintaining the tempo even through extreme changes in volume and feel.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
"Leave Your Hat On." The Joe Cocker version. At least with my band, it's really hard to hold everyone back.

Instead of all the "World's Fastest Drummer" nonsense, I'd love to see "World's Slowest Drummer," or perhaps more to the point, "World's most Accurate Drummer."
Set up a slooooow 60 BPM click, let the contestant establish a groove, then turn it off for eight bars. Who comes back in closest? Keep slowing it down, and/or extending the number of silent bars until only one drummer is left. HA! I'm pretty sure I'd be knocked out early.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Instead of all the "World's Fastest Drummer" nonsense, I'd love to see "World's Slowest Drummer," or perhaps more to the point, "World's most Accurate Drummer."
Set up a slooooow 60 BPM click, let the contestant establish a groove, then turn it off for eight bars. Who comes back in closest? Keep slowing it down, and/or extending the number of silent bars until only one drummer is left. HA! I'm pretty sure I'd be knocked out early.

60?!
That's too fast.
40-48 bpm.
Now THAT will separate the men from the boys. :thumbup:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

a contemporary one came across a few years ago......

Last edited:

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Hi.
For me Danny Boy and Li'l Darlin can be slippery if I dont pay attention AND relax.Danny Boy is a little more forgiving because in some parts I can move it from phrase to phrase with an implied 12/8 pulse.
Why, in your opinion, are slow tempos sometimes more challenging to some players?
I think because every note and space has to fit. No ifs ands or buts. Noodling and wanking iss verbotten.good discipline , though.Any thoughts on this ? Thanks. Benny K.
Hi.
For me Danny Boy and Li'l Darlin can be slippery if I dont pay attention AND relax.Danny Boy is a little more forgiving because in some parts I can move it from phrase to phrase with an implied 12/8 pulse.
Why, in your opinion, are slow tempos sometimes more challenging to some players?
I think because every note and space has to fit. No ifs ands or buts. Noodling and wanking iss verbotten.good discipline , though.Any thoughts on this ? Thanks. Benny K.
When I play Little Darlin, I think in 12/8, to keep it swinging.

Last edited:

RickTriesToPlayDrums

Reaction score
The slow song that gets my goat is "Wonderful Tonight" with those 16th notes on the hihat. Every bandleader I know seems to count that one off too fast and then looks at me to slow it down.
If I remember correctly; isn't the snare on the 1 and 3 in "Wonderful Tonight"? That song can be a little tricky until you internalize it.

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
For you jazz players, listen to any album by Shirley Horn. Her ballads are impossibly slow. I have to hand it to her amazing drummer, because, by the time you get to "2" you've forgotten where "1" was.

Absolutely this!^^^

Latest posts