Most Difficult Song To Play By Led Zeppelin?

MortSahlFan

Reaction score
"The Crunge" is one song I would never want to play live.. I have no problems with any other songs, but the bass drum and hi-hat work is pretty tough, especially when a band has to follow you.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lots of his stuff's easy to play if you just sound however you want. I think getting the tone/feel perfect is more challenging than the actual notes, so my vote is: they're all equally difficult. (Young me didn't get that and thought Zep tunes were all cake because the notes themselves aren't that hard.)

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Coming into the 2nd verse of “Out on the Tiles”. I have some sort of mental block where I can’t figure out the count.

Luckily I will probably never be asked to play it live.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paying attention through the boring part of stairway and still being ready to come in? Its like the old high school band pieces where you have to wait 100 measures to hit a triangle once
I have approached this song's intro a little differently; I love the song so I listen to the intro guitar work with my eyes closed and am counting it out near the end ....a friend of mine does a great job of it so I love listening to him before I come in.

There is a video clip of Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson performing the song at the Kennedy Center at a Led Zeppelin Tribute at the Kennedy Center in 2012 on Youtube; I think Jason Bonham is drumming and he appears to be listening closely to the acoustic guitar/electric guitar intro before he comes in.

Hope this is helpful....

Last edited:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Another vote for "all of them." I can usually play the notes, but nailing that groove... Yikes! I've played "Rock 'n' Roll" a hundred times and only one time -- lightning strike, planet alignment, whatever -- was I happy with the groove.
Having said all that, The Crunge is really difficult to get those time signature changes down. It's mostly in 9.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Any live stuff is usually tougher than recorded. Some of it much tougher

Reactions: Jml

Tdipaul

Reaction score
IMO

#1: Fool in the Rain. Only a select few can pull this off, it is that difficult. George Fludas from Bonhamology/People's Front of Zeppelin gets the closest

#2. That blazing fill at ~2:30 of Achilles Last Stand is still a head scratcher and probably one of his most powerful fills of all

#3: Indeed, Out on The Tiles has some odd things going in it!

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was in a Zeppelin tribute band for five years, and although none of it is easy, once you internalize his feel and touch it's pretty much the most fun you can have behind the drums. It took me 15 years of constant study and contemplation to get down. I'm no George Fludas, but I'd put my playing up there with anyone trying to do Bonham right. I f'ing love him.