Most Difficult Song To Play By Led Zeppelin?

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have problems with many of the mentioned, but another not mentioned thats tough, is when he kicks in on "In my time of dying"

311Club

Reaction score
Kashmir live at Knebworth. Check out his fills towards the end. At the very end of the difficult spectrum, especially pulling them off without even slightly disturbing that monstrous groove of his.
it's him and AVH sitting on top of that "ultra fat but very agile" Groove Rock Pantheon. YMMV of course :)

starting at 6:30. From around the 8 min mark he starts going berserk. Even the gong is almost flying off the stand

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Kashmir live at Knebworth. Check out his fills towards the end. At the very end of the difficult spectrum, especially pulling them off without even slightly disturbing that monstrous groove of his.
it's him and AVH sitting on top of that "ultra fat but very agile" Groove Rock Pantheon. YMMV of course :)

starting at 6:30. From around the 8 min mark he starts going berserk. Even the gong is almost flying off the stand
I didn't see that. The gong does swing, but it's supposed to do that.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s good to see so many people using the caveat of playing the songs correctly, and with the right groove and feel. People often conflate the two but they’re very different.

Bonzo had more chops than a butcher’s shop, but to me, what really made his playing standout was his feel. Playing impossibly behind the beat on songs like Kashmir or When The Levee Breaks to playing on top of the beat on Rock and Roll, and everything in between. And it always grooved.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Playing impossibly behind the beat on songs like Kashmir or When The Levee Breaks to playing on top of the beat on Rock and Roll, and everything in between.
Isn’t that the truth!
Rick Beato recently did a video where he quantized Bonhams drums, which in almost every strike, took it from behind the beat to dead center. Sucked all the life out of the track. Such a good demonstration of his groove.

MortSahlFan

Reaction score
To heck ……What are the easy ones ????
Tangerine
All My Love
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Dancing Days
Kashmir
When The Levee Breaks
D'yerm'aker

I never had a problem with "Fool In The Rain". For the middle part, I play the snare like Bonham, and then hit the edge of the tom for the 2 and 4 notes to give it a popping sound since I no longer have timbales or roto-toms. Once they get back to the Purdie shuffle, on the first roll, I love to hit the snare (ghost notes and all) with the stick hitting the snare and the shell to get that popping sound.

"Achilles Last Stand" is only difficult at the end when he opens the hi-hat constantly, with the busy bass drum.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play in Zeppelin tribute band. There are many difficult songs, but most difficult is to keep the feel of the easiest ones.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

I remember when the How the West was Won DVD came out and I saw this performance. Those fills are just so insane at the end and you are correct that he doesn't disturb the groove. There is one particular fill that he does where I just don't see how he comes back out of it! Not only that they are just done with the utmost confidence. I also love how John could play light as a feather yet play with such authority. I love the version of the Rain Song in the Song remains the Same. he uses the mallets but sounds so musical in the way he plays along.

I think Carouselambra is pretty tough to get that groove just right with the hi-hat and bass drum.