Most Overrated Bands in Classic Rock

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rush, really? I’m not even a huge Rush fan and that is one of the most inexplicable things I’ve ever read.

Lets just create our own genre of music, have success and longevity that ten overrated band would dream of, build a long and diverse discography as well as a legion of loyal fans all while being virtually ignored by the mainstream music industry et al.
I didn't want my fanboy to show, but I did find RUSH a strange choice. :)

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? What's a great hair metal album we can all listen to and appreciate right now? Britny Fox? White Lion? Danger Danger? I'm wrackin' my brain here... Can't think of one.
I’m just throwing this out there since I’m not a fan but many would say Def Leppard’s Hysteria? Don’t yell at me, I really don’t like any of it.

Last edited:

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually not a bad list.

I don't agree with Genesis, as most have already said, but they are likely on there for the same reason The Stones are (and The Beatles aren't): neither Genesis or The Stones hung it up in their musical golden age; The Beatles did (and you could say that Led Zep did a similar thing, and wisely hung it up after Bonzo's death). The Beatles didn't wear out their welcome (even if some feel their old records have been worn out through repetitive play). If "real" Genesis had broken up after Wind and Wuthering, we wouldn't be having this conversation; same for The Stones if they had ended with Exile on Main Street (which would have been their Abbey Road). U2 is in the same situation. Can't ignore the early albums, but the long career has seen them ebb.

Agree about Aerosmith, for many of the same reasons. I know we are talking "bands," but you could add Bruce and Elton to this list, again for the same reasons. The Beach Boys are similar, but they really were truly innovative, and there has been a revival of interest in some of their "lost classics" from the late 60s and early 70s.

So kudos to those who hung it up early to go out strong; and kudos to those who have been able to hang together and make a multi-decade career. Both paths take guts.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some dudes really didn't like the synthesizer years -- Signals -- Hold Your Fire.
Kind of what helped to make RUSH cool. They tried different stuff. Some worked well. Some not as well. It’s funny on RUSH sites, many guys only like the keyboard years.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Actually not a bad list.

I don't agree with Genesis, as most have already said, but they are likely on there for the same reason The Stones are (and The Beatles aren't): neither Genesis or The Stones hung it up in their musical golden age; The Beatles did (and you could say that Led Zep did a similar thing, and wisely hung it up after Bonzo's death). The Beatles didn't wear out their welcome (even if some feel their old records have been worn out through repetitive play). If "real" Genesis had broken up after Wind and Wuthering, we wouldn't be having this conversation; same for The Stones if they had ended with Exile on Main Street (which would have been their Abbey Road). U2 is in the same situation. Can't ignore the early albums, but the long career has seen them ebb.

Agree about Aerosmith, for many of the same reasons. I know we are talking "bands," but you could add Bruce and Elton to this list, again for the same reasons. The Beach Boys are similar, but they really were truly innovative, and there has been a revival of interest in some of their "lost classics" from the late 60s and early 70s.

So kudos to those who hung it up early to go out strong; and kudos to those who have been able to hang together and make a multi-decade career. Both paths take guts.
The first half of Elton’s career definitely not overrated. Second half. Way overrated.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t agree on some of them.
Oasis is brilliant in my opinion...Metallica and Guns n Roses Shouldn’t be included either...I also think the rest are overrated, especially U2.
Also, Some of those are not considered in classic rock Genre...but they are overrated in general.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t agree on some of them.
Oasis is brilliant in my opinion...Metallica and Guns n Roses Shouldn’t be included either...I also think the rest are overrated, especially U2.
Also, Some of those are not considered in classic rock Genre...but they are overrated in general.
I agree about Oasis. Not really classic rock (maybe more "retro"), and not in the same dinosaur status as some of the others. Oasis and Supergrass are my favorite Brit Pop bands from the 90s.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree about Oasis. Not really classic rock (maybe more "retro"), and not in the same dinosaur status as some of the others. Oasis and Supergrass are my favorite Brit Pop bands from the 90s.
Yup, Although I like Metallica, Guns n Roses, some stones songs here and there, I would isolate Oasis from that group OP mentioned...they are unique and Super cool!

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Big difference between “overrated” and past their prime...or hung on too long.

Take the first two or three albums (or five\six for the Stones lol) of the bands on that list and we’d could easily be talking about “ground breaking albums of the 70s and 80s”.

Disclosure: With the exception of “Hot Rocks”, I don’t have even ONE album (vinyl, tape, CD, or digital), from any of the bands on that list...lol

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dont consider most of the bands in the list as "Classic Rock". The Stones, KISS and I guess Genesis are the only 3 on the list that even fall under the classic rock umbrella, IMO. That said I would have bands like CCR, Bad Company, The Ramones, The Cars, Dire Straits, etc on that list.

The Stones have longevity to them and they can still pack a huge crowd. U2 can do the same thing. So both of them I wouldnt consider overrated. Metallica has reinvented themselves so many times in order to still have relevance today that I commend them for their efforts. Name another band from their genre/era that still puts out new music, gets radio play and can headline major events. Bon Jovi and Motley Crue were huge back in their day, but they really don't do anything any more. I dont think you can call them overrated if they were huge and spanned multiple records. As a side note, I really hope Motley doesn't come out of retirement to play events again. Or if they do, they have to ditch Vince. His singing is terrible.. Honestly I would love to see Corabi play/sing for them.

The only band on the list that I would say is overrated is KISS. All of their music was written with what feels like the least amount of effort and creativity to minimally pass as a song. Their name is literally: Keep It Simple Stupid. Not only that but Gene Simmons turned the band in to a vehicle for merchandising themselves more so than making music. I understand making music can sometimes not pay the bills all on its own, but for crying out loud he turned that band in to a mockery of itself. And not way in its later years when they were struggling, this was early in their career. They became a damn joke.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Doors should be number one and then you can put Dave Matthews Band at number 2. Aerosmith and Guns and Roses should definitely be on that list as well.

U2? RHCP? Huh? I’m not a fan of either of those bands, but no way should they be on the list.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Doors should be number one and then you can put Dave Matthews Band at number 2. Aerosmith and Guns and Roses should definitely be on that list as well.

U2? RHCP? Huh? I’m not a fan of either of those bands, but no way should they be on the list.
The Doors ??? You gotta be kidding ?
That was some absolutely brilliant music.