Most "pop" songs with mallets

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the Jamie Cullum Radiohead cover ..........

I think his drummer owes Vernel Fournier (Ahmad Jamal) a "small" debt of thanks ........ ! But the Poinciana groove is SO seminal and established that it wears well ........ !

Mike
It actually sounds like it’s two drummers, I just listened to it twice and I never noticed that before. Somebody’s keeping the mallets going on the toms and it sounds like somebody or another track is doing cymbal work

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It actually sounds like it’s two drummers, I just listened to it twice and I never noticed that before. Somebody’s keeping the mallets going on the toms and it sounds like somebody or another track is doing cymbal work

I'll listen again ...... with phones!

But in the meantime, pick up on one of the many live recordings of Poinciana (I don't (sigh!) have a link readily to hand) ...... the independence of the drumming (not necessarily Vernel himself .... might be Herlin Riley) is really amazing. The right hand mallet is almost like a ride cymbal, with all sorts of beautiful left-hand stick work on open snare, toms, and cymbal "comping" underneath it. The trick is the speed of the mallet work with the one (right?) hand ....... and the dynamics ...... just like a jazz ride part.

M.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll listen again ...... with phones!

But in the meantime, pick up on one of the many live recordings of Poinciana (I don't (sigh!) have a link readily to hand) ...... the independence of the drumming (not necessarily Vernel himself .... might be Herlin Riley) is really amazing. The right hand mallet is almost like a ride cymbal, with all sorts of beautiful left-hand stick work on open snare, toms, and cymbal "comping" underneath it. The trick is the speed of the mallet work with the one (right?) hand ....... and the dynamics ...... just like a jazz ride part.

M.
Ok listening to it now..good stuff

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't forget Ginger Baker:

And the original...

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
"Just Dropped In" by The First Edition.

I know that Glen Campbell did the lead guitar work, that was recorded backwards, but don't know who played the vibes on the track. If it was recorded in L.A., I would bet it was Julius Wechter, of The Wrecking Crew, who played it. It's interesting that the vibes and bass played in unison on the solo, just as George Shearing had done with his group's sound.