Most recorded snare - Supraphonic lm400 was it brass or aluminum shell?

D

Drummer1990

Im Building a collection to offset needs for snare drums based on what were most recorded snare drums in history an my collection is not complete without a Supraphonic LM400 14x5 but what I don't know is was it a Brass shell or Aluminum.

Does anyone here know? I tried to look up came up dead in water. When did Ludwig even come out with the COB 14x5 Supraphonic

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Ludwig Super 400 is the designation for the COB version of the Supraphonic, isn't it?
Therefore, Ludaloy, or Aluminum.

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Metal is what I've heard. I think it was Earl Palmer who said you can make a metal shelled drum sound like a wood shelled drum, but you can't make a wood shelled drum sound like a metal shelled drum. So, yeah, those Ludwig snares were and are made of metal.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In vintage terms, I believe the Super-Ludwig was just that a “Super-Ludwig” that came in chrome or lacquered brass, models 400-403. The Supra-phonic is the “Acousti-Perfect” shell with models 400 and 402 and were predominantly Ludaloy. Of course, Ludwig exceptions exist.

Last edited:
D

Drummer1990

the most recorded? that would be hal blaine and his trusty 14x5 pre-serial brass 400. a friend of mine owns it along with one of hal's monster sets.

400 is brass until 1963.
There is guarantee proof the 14x5 COB Supraphonic is THE MOST USED AND RECORDED In Entire History? This is what I want to know as I'm bout to buy a LM400 for my tiny Arsenal of recording snare drums. I already own a 6.5 Supraphonic Aluminum so I need to know if the 14x5 is brass or Aluminum that is the standard in history. Otherwise I'll just stick with a brass black beauty

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
the most recorded? that would be hal blaine and his trusty 14x5 pre-serial brass 400. a friend of mine owns it along with one of hal's monster sets.

400 is brass until 1963.
Donn Bennett?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is guarantee proof the 14x5 COB Supraphonic is THE MOST USED AND RECORDED In Entire History? This is what I want to know as I'm bout to buy a LM400 for my tiny Arsenal of recording snare drums. I already own a 6.5 Supraphonic Aluminum so I need to know if the 14x5 is brass or Aluminum that is the standard in history. Otherwise I'll just stick with a brass black beauty
Sounds like you will probably do well with what you already have.

D

Drummer1990

Sounds like you will probably do well with what you already have.
Well I only have 6.5 supra and a black galaxy Acrolite. I need a brass snare an the bb speaks volumes to me.

Was hoping the cob supra was most used so I could add that instead of a black beauty but It seems all the info I'm getting the most recorded Supraphonic was a Aluminum shell and if the 14x5 was a Aluminum then I dont need another Aluminum supra. See my logic why have two of same drum

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
here you go. not mine, but nice. won't find one much cheaper.

reverb.com/item/32979883-ludwig-super-400-cob-61-63-chrome-over-brass

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I
Well I only have 6.5 supra and a black galaxy Acrolite. I need a brass snare an the bb speaks volumes to me.

Was hoping the cob supra was most used so I could add that instead of a black beauty but It seems all the info I'm getting the most recorded Supraphonic was a Aluminum shell and if the 14x5 was a Aluminum then I dont need another Aluminum supra. See my logic why have two of same drum
If you’re looking for advice, I encourage more patience to invite greater clarity on what you really want or enough disposable income to buy them all.

D

Drummer1990

I

If you’re looking for advice, I encourage more patience to invite greater clarity on what you really want or enough disposable income to buy them all.
Well F... Me why didnt I think of that.. That being said next month I plan to have enough for at least The Black Beauty second hand. Too expensive buy new

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
When Ludwig uses the sale line "the most recorded drum in history" they are/were referring to aluminum shelled drums because that is what they were selling at the time. The vast majority of Ludwig 400 model snare drums were made of aluminum. The precursor to the Supraphonic, the Ludwig Super, was made of brass. That drum was made for about 5 years (1958-1963). Tho the drums look outwardly similar the shell construction was quite different between the two. The brass drums used a rolled shell with a seam and crimped in snare beds. The aluminum shells are spun seamless with a very gradual bed. The aluminum drum has been in production from 1963 to present and vastly outnumbers the brass version. Eventually Ludwig did bring brass back in the form of the black beauty in 1977 and later a new COB version. These drums share the seamless shell design and are therefore still different than the Supers. Really no other snare has been produced in the kind of numbers that the aluminum supra has ( except for its little brother the acro, which uses the same shell) and it is by virtue of these sheer production numbers that Ludwig can make the "most recorded" claim. It seems that in the late 60s on thru the 70s and into the 80s almost everyone was using Supras as their snare. Since then the amount of choices available have somewhat diluted the Supras stature but they are still pretty common. So if your goal is for the most recorded you probably want an aluminum 400.