Most UNDERRATED Bands in the Classic Rock Era

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Because I've enjoyed the thread on the most overrated classic rock bands so much, I'm asking for your input on the most underrated bands of the classic rock era -- meaning bands that could be played on a classic rock station in my town. I'll offer my thoughts.

Rival Sons. I simply don't understand why this band isn't huge. They're bigger in Europe, but with Jay Buchanan's voice and such great players, they deserve to be superstars.

Thin Lizzy -- Yes, "The Boys Are Back in Town" was a huge hit, but the depth of the catalog that includes "Emerald," "Wild One," "Warriors," etc. is amazing.

Big Star -- The American Badfinger in terms of both great songs and tragedy, this may be the best band you've never heard on the radio.

The Sword -- If The Sword came out in 1974 instead of 2004, they'd be the third biggest band in the world after Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

Mother Love Bone -- The band that became Pearl Jam was better when it was Mother Love Bone

Screaming Trees -- My favorite grunge band.

Frankie Miller (with Full House) -- One of the best voices in rock.

Ike Reilly (Assasination) - I seem to remember that Ike Reilly's major label debut came out during the week of 9/11.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band -- Not everybody is going to like Alex Harvey, but I love it.

Bad Brains -- Not sure how a reggae heavy metal band found me in high school, but I still play I Against I all the time. It's great.

Husker Du

NOFX - Big in the punk rock world, sort of, but it's astonishing how many great songs this band has. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3lgI9QIV8

The Donnas -- Their last three or so albums are absolute classics. My dream is to play drums for The Donnas.

Nova Rockefeller is my favorite rapper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQdH3CU9b00

Last edited:

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry but I find Rival Sons very repetitive. I have tried to like them, but always fail.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bob Marley's Favorite Reggae Band (for dang good reason)...
It Aint Mellow:
Crank it Up...

Last edited:

Furious Styles

Reaction score
Ike Reilly Assassination is a good call.

Dude has an insanely tight band that he's kept together for years. His house in the north suburbs of Chicago is an old hunting lodge where he hosts small shows in the main room. The sound is amazing

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Considering there were a gazillion underrated bands in the classic rock era I won't bog down this thread with multiple video examples - instead, I'll just post this one.

SHOES (the pride of Zion, Illinois)

KevinD

Reaction score
Because I've enjoyed the thread on the most overrated classic rock bands so much, I'm asking for your input on the most underrated bands of the classic rock era -- meaning bands that could be played on a classic rock station in my town. I'll offer my thoughts.

Rival Sons. I simply don't understand why this band isn't huge. They're bigger in Europe, but with Jay Buchanan's voice and such great players, they deserve to be superstars.

Thin Lizzy -- Yes, "The Boys Are Back in Town" was a huge hit, but the depth of the catalog that includes "Emerald," "Wild One," "Warriors," etc. is amazing.

Big Star -- The American Badfinger in terms of both great songs and tragedy, this may be the best band you've never heard on the radio.

The Sword -- If The Sword came out in 1974 instead of 2004, they'd be the third biggest band in the world after Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

Mother Love Bone -- The band that became Pearl Jam was better when it was Mother Love Bone

Ike Reilly (Assasination) - I seem to remember that Ike Reilly's major label debut came out during the week of 9/11.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band -- Not everybody is going to like Alex Harvey, but I love it.

Bad Brains -- Not sure how a reggae heavy metal band found me in high school, but I still play I Against I all the time. It's great.

Husker Du

NOFX - Big in the punk rock world, sort of, but it's astonishing how many great songs this band has. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3lgI9QIV8

The Donnas -- Their last three or so albums are absolute classics. My dream is to play drums for The Donnas.

Nova Rockefeller is my favorite rapper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQdH3CU9b00
Toto

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score

Husker Du

There were a number of bands that I loved and still listen to today. Sadly they never had the level of commercial success they were probably due. A few of them and their notable albums below:
-Starz-Coliseum Rock
-Riot-Narita
-Legs Diamond-Legs Diamond
-Budgie-Never Turn Your Back On A Friend
-Axe-Axe
-Max Webster-Mutiny Up My Sleave

kallen49

Reaction score
+1 re: Big Star.
Stewart Copeland‘s band, with Stanley Clarke, “Animal Logic“ is one of my Faves (but maybe not “classic”?)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
On the harder side-
Thin Lizzy
UFO
Blackfoot

All of these bands rocked, but never reached arena headlining status.
Thin Lizzy was a headliner everywhere but the U.S.
UFO headlined its 1980 U.S. arena and theater tour and Blackfoot was on the bill for a couple of those shows.

Attachments

Latest posts