Most UNDERRATED Bands in the Classic Rock Era

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thin Lizzy was a headliner everywhere but the U.S.
UFO headlined its 1980 U.S. arena and theater tour and Blackfoot was on the bill for a couple of those shows.

UFO/Blackfoot played the Tower Theatre in Philly on that tour. I missed it, but word was Blackfoot really tore it up. I did see UFO at the Spectrum opening for Ozzy in 1982.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+2 for Big Star, at least during the time the band existed. Acts like Big Star and Nick Drake have rave reviews now, but were not noticed when they were making music. So underrated in their time.

But what about "big" bands that don't receive their due? The Kinks come to mind. They don't have near the rep of The Beatles or The Stones in the general public, but they are just as talented and important. Other British acts from the same period who stayed pretty much in the UK market are Small Faces and The Move - both fantastic bands.

From the 80s, maybe a group like New Model Army. Always had a cult following, but never broke into the big time the way groups like U2 did. Thunder and Consolation is such a good album.

larold

Reaction score
The most under-rated band ever is the Monkees. They were derisively dismissed because they were put together for a tv show and didn’t play the instruments on their early records, but the first two albums they made when they wrested control of their recordings from Don Kirshnir (Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.) are great garage-pop records. Besides, any band with Michael Nesmith in it is a good band.

larold

Reaction score
The Small Faces. Not so much under-rated but largely ignored in the US. The Who may have coined the term “Maximum R&B,” but the Small Faces did it better than anyone. Then Brian Epstein dosed them with acid and they became a great psychedelic band. Led Zeppelin “borrowed“ a great deal from them.

larold

Reaction score
Elastica. They never got the attention that Oasis or Blur or Pulp got, but their first album is the best Brit-pop album.

drumsanity

Reaction score
Y&T....I will never understand why A&M (1981-1985, 5 albums) didn't show them any marketing love. They checked all of
the "hair and/or metal band" boxes of that era, they had the look, great guitar player, singer(s), smokin rhythm section with Haze and Kennemore, good rhythm guitar player in Alves, a nice library of fun rocking songs and they were great live.....

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Y&T....I will never understand why A&M (1981-1985, 5 albums) didn't show them any marketing love. They checked all of
the "hair and/or metal band" boxes of that era, they had the look, great guitar player, singer(s), smokin rhythm section with Haze and Kennemore, good rhythm guitar player in Alves, a nice library of fun rocking songs and they were great live.....
I’m with you there .....

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ike Reilly Assassination is a good call.

Dude has an insanely tight band that he's kept together for years. His house in the north suburbs of Chicago is an old hunting lodge where he hosts small shows in the main room. The sound is amazing
He plays all over up here doing solo shows too.

Ox Han

Reaction score
I think we need to have a conversation about what exactly falls under the term "Classic Rock".
I love Bad Brains, but I will tell you right now that they are not classic rock. The ROIR tape is probably one of the greatest albums ever.

It's a shame that the archetype punk beat is called d-beat and not B-beat. I've often wondered if that is due to them being less well-known and "underrated" at the time of Discharge, or if it was an effect of latent racism and them not being white.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zombies- Odessey and Oracle is the greatest 60’s album you never heard.