Most UNDERRATED Bands in the Classic Rock Era

JimmySticks

Reaction score
How about The Edger Winter Group.

They had some great hits like Frankenstein and Free Ride, but they never seemed to be talked up with the bigger rock groups out there.

There is also Pablo Cruise, although they were more pop rock and Yacht Rock Radio material, they had some pretty gitchy hits in their hay day. Still touring I think.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
What years do you propose this era to be?
From the late-70s AOR period through now (though the classic rock format has been in decline in terms of losing stations since the early 2000s). I don't listen much, but the freshest songs my local station plays are 20-plus years old -- Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers...

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How about The Edger Winter Group.

They had some great hits like Frankenstein and Free Ride, but they never seemed to be talked up with the bigger rock groups out there.

There is also Pablo Cruise, although they were more pop rock and Yacht Rock Radio material, they had some pretty gitchy hits in their hay day. Still touring I think.
I saw Pablo Cruise at Worlds Of Fun in KC ,
78/79 ish ?
They came up in suggestions Saturday night whilst the lady and I were listening to Spotify . Our eyes would light up when we heard the 1st notes of those classic songs !!!

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I saw Pablo Cruise at Worlds Of Fun in KC ,
78/79 ish ?
They came up in suggestions Saturday night whilst the lady and I were listening to Spotify . Our eyes would light up when we heard the 1st notes of those classic songs !!!
Man, I'm glad you stuck up for Pablo Cruise! :D

I thought I was going to get run out of here for that pick, lol, but I loved those guys, and I love to hear those songs even today. There were some pretty darn good guitar solo's and the rythme section locked it all down pretty nicely. Good songwriting as well.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, I'm glad you stuck up for Pablo Cruise! :D

I thought I was going to get run out of here for that pick, lol, but I loved those guys, and I love to hear those songs even today. There were some pretty darn good guitar solo's and the rythme section locked it all down pretty nicely. Good songwriting as well.
I’m not ashamed of my Yacht Rock .......

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was listening to Dwight Yoakum's "Bakersfield Sound" radio show on SiriusXM. He played this tune from Poco which was a band that rose from the ashes of Buffalo Springfield and included several future members of Eagles. Good Yacht Rock stuff from this crew with a country flair. The musicianship on this track is tight and groovin' with great vocal harmonies. Can't recall ever hearing them on "classic rock" radio -- but I stopped listening to terrestrial radio and have been with SiriusXM from their start. Besides the advertising, those conglomerate stations are so programmed and basically pulling from a list of about 300 songs.

larold

Reaction score
Not a band, but Donovan is severely underrated. Many people still dismiss him as a Dylan copyist because his first album was derivative, but at the time, everyone’s first album was derivative, including the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Dylan himself. Donovan’s Sunshine Superman album and the rest of his 60s output are excellent.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I think we need to have a conversation about what exactly falls under the term "Classic Rock".
Yes. To me, classic rock is 50s and 60s stuff, with the Stones probably being the quintessential classic rock band, but I've learned from experience this is not what most people mean by classic rock. They mean Led Zeppelin and beyond. I've even been lectured that what I'm referring to is rock 'n' roll while rock came later and is different. Whatever. I've learned to ask, especially when a classic rock band is looking for a drummer. I ask what they mean by classic rock because while I can do Charlie Watts I can't do Bonham. They usually mean Bonham.

Truthfully, I don't even know what rock in any sub-genre is. If Paul Simon is rock (and he's usually classified as such), the only thing I can figure is that rock is defined as the popular music of a particular era and culture.

I see that others who commented on this thread also have different definitions of classic rock, although the OP has clarified that classic rock is late 70s and beyond. Oops, there goes Bonham, but otherwise this seems the dominant definition.

Where I live (Costa Rica) there's a classic rock band that's quite popular. One of the clubs promotes their shows as "geriatric rock" (no insult intended or taken). That keeps it simple. If you've got grey hair and remember the songs, it's probably classic rock.

Latest posts