Most Versatile Drummers

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Steve,

Reading this very late, Richie is my grandfathers twin brother who I never got to meet because of his passing a long time ago. I have heard much about him but never his music. Great to see he impacted many people. Crazy small world.

AL
After a show he tried buy a ride off of me, but I figured if he liked it I better hold onto it. Richie was very involved with the Hartt School of Music in West Hartford, CT. He, Frank Hooper and Al Lepak were the guys there. I studied there but with Hooper...not Lepore. It is a small world isn't it? Nice guy!!

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you could hire
Terry Bozzio
for any gig and rest easy.

Last edited:

mpungercar

Reaction score
Vinnie would definitely be my first answer. Anyone who's played with Megadeth AND Chick Corea has got to be the most versatile player out there. I'd also like to through another name in there just because I haven't seen him mentioned yet. I think Todd Sucherman could probably play just about anything you threw his way.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Topics like this are such a waste of time.

There's no criteria outlined. The responses all seem to be to the question, name a pop or folk rock drummer from the 70s who has dabbled in jazz?

A few, though, seem to be answering, 'What drummer has the best press agent?"

The answer, though, is Simon Phillips ... Judas Priest to Toto and everywhere in between.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Terry Bozzio- Zappa (that almost seals it right there), Missing Persons, Korn. He covers a lot of different ground.

Reaction score
Steve Smith is without a doubt a versatile drummer.

Add Gregg Bissonette to the list. Gregg can play any style with conviction. He can swing a big band, play heavy metal/hard rock with Spinal Tap and DLR, pop/rock with Toto and Ringo, Fusion, Jazz, Afro Cuban.

Some great players mentioned but I can’t think of anyone more versatile (ie play as many styles with ease and conviction) than Gregg.
Johnny D nails the word that I have "preaching" for years... CONVICTION. Throughout the years I have heard way too many drummers "play at" rock or "play at" jazz. Their playing lacks any conviction and is downright condescending to the music at hand. Just because a rock drummer can play "spang-a-lang" DOESN'T mean he is playing "jazz." Nor if a jazz drummer can play a few backbeats, that doesn't mean he's playing rock music.

Having the right sound and complete musical approach and being able to know dialect-vocabulary of, and the differences and similarities between, different styles is what makes it possible for a musician to play many different styles with CONVICTION! I have made it part of my musical career to do this as well. No one should EVER play down to a musical style. This is also why so many drummers can't play a GOOD shuffle. They won't commit to it, and are being downright condescending to the groove and the music. But I digress.

In my opinion all the right modern drummers have been mentioned, but I'll go in a different direction. Anyone who knows me, knows that every few years I get really obsessed with an unsung (for me) drummer who I admire, usually from a previous generation.

In the recent past these drummers (obsessions) have included: James Black, Carl Burnette, Charley Drayton, Jerry Marotta, Eddie Charlton, O'Neill Spencer, Leroy Clouden, Specs Wright, Jimmy Copley, Brian MacLeod, and MANY others...

My recent obsession has been one of the most versatile drummers that I have ever heard: Paul Humphrey.

Funky organ jazz on Jimmy Smith's "Root Down." Steely Dan's "Black Cow." Joe Cocker "Feeling Alright." Swinging soulful jazz with Gene Harris and MANY others. Jazz with Kenny Burrell, Monty Alexander, and Stan Kenton. Half of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" record. Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats," The Jerry Garcia Band, Kenny Rogers, Etta James... And... Get this, The Lawrence Welk Show. And I'm sure I've missed A LOT!!!!!

And he played all of this music with absolute CONVICTION!!!! The right sound, approach, and vocabulary, with true sincerity and the musicality that the gig required.

So in my opinion: Gregg, the two Steve's (Gadd and Smith) Vinnie, Anton Fig (he can really swing) Dennis, Chad Wackerman, Josh Freese, Brian Blade, Joel Taylor, Gene Lake, Billy Cobham, and Ralph Humphrey (among others) were ALL just following in the footsteps of (my most recent drumming obsession...)
Mr. Paul Humphrey.

MSG

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ed Shaughnessy.

How many different styles did he play supporting countless guests on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson over the course of 29 years?

sptucker

Reaction score
Johnny D nails the word that I have "preaching" for years... CONVICTION. Throughout the years I have heard way too many drummers "play at" rock or "play at" jazz. Their playing lacks any conviction and is downright condescending to the music at hand. Just because a rock drummer can play "spang-a-lang" DOESN'T mean he is playing "jazz." Nor if a jazz drummer can play a few backbeats, that doesn't mean he's playing rock music.

Having the right sound and complete musical approach and being able to know dialect-vocabulary of, and the differences and similarities between, different styles is what makes it possible for a musician to play many different styles with CONVICTION! I have made it part of my musical career to do this as well. No one should EVER play down to a musical style. This is also why so many drummers can't play a GOOD shuffle. They won't commit to it, and are being downright condescending to the groove and the music. But I digress.

In my opinion all the right modern drummers have been mentioned, but I'll go in a different direction. Anyone who knows me, knows that every few years I get really obsessed with an unsung (for me) drummer who I admire, usually from a previous generation.

In the recent past these drummers (obsessions) have included: James Black, Carl Burnette, Charley Drayton, Jerry Marotta, Eddie Charlton, O'Neill Spencer, Leroy Clouden, Specs Wright, Jimmy Copley, Brian MacLeod, and MANY others...

My recent obsession has been one of the most versatile drummers that I have ever heard: Paul Humphrey.

Funky organ jazz on Jimmy Smith's "Root Down." Steely Dan's "Black Cow." Joe Cocker "Feeling Alright." Swinging soulful jazz with Gene Harris and MANY others. Jazz with Kenny Burrell, Monty Alexander, and Stan Kenton. Half of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" record. Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats," The Jerry Garcia Band, Kenny Rogers, Etta James... And... Get this, The Lawrence Welk Show. And I'm sure I've missed A LOT!!!!!

And he played all of this music with absolute CONVICTION!!!! The right sound, approach, and vocabulary, with true sincerity and the musicality that the gig required.

So in my opinion: Gregg, the two Steve's (Gadd and Smith) Vinnie, Anton Fig (he can really swing) Dennis, Chad Wackerman, Josh Freese, Brian Blade, Joel Taylor, Gene Lake, Billy Cobham, and Ralph Humphrey (among others) were ALL just following in the footsteps of (my most recent drumming obsession...)
Mr. Paul Humphrey.

MSG
I'm going to have to check PH out a little more in depth. Thanks for the tip!

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen anyone mention Mark Guiliana. So Mark Guiliana is my more contemporary pick.

Latest posts