Mounted a cymbal stand off my bass this morning.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I do that on all three of my modern kits. No pics of the Breakbeats, but I put a mini boom (that's in the Pearl kit) in the tom holder clamp. I also use a clamp-on mini boom with my Rogers kit, but it's not a modern kit.

The Gretsch kit uses a Ludwig Atlas mount that replaces a lug, so no drilling required.

IMG_20171119_165624.jpg
Pearl drums.jpg

Targalx

Reaction score
It's always a neat idea, and my very first drum set (a 1960s Japanese stencil kit) had that feature. But it wouldn't work for me. I play my ride cymbal just a few inches above the kick drum. Also, I'm not crazy about adding more drill holes to my bass drum shell. I'd rather use the extra receiver hole in the triple tom mount on my bass drum, and run a boom arm from there.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love it. All my basses have a cymbal mount. I use the Inde BR3 on the ones that I don’t want to drill.
11A5104F-E31B-4CA8-8260-4F060BDA6A81.jpeg

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Taye Go-Kit that I recently sold had a central tom mount with cymbal holder built in. It was a useful feature ....
23621270_10210922764213116_8729374219809881803_n.jpeg

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
It's always a neat idea, and my very first drum set (a 1960s Japanese stencil kit) had that feature. But it wouldn't work for me. I play my ride cymbal just a few inches above the kick drum. Also, I'm not crazy about adding more drill holes to my bass drum shell. I'd rather use the extra receiver hole in the triple tom mount on my bass drum, and run a boom arm from there.
If you're handy with tools you could always cut the L-arm down to the correct length, if it was a priority.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first set, a four piece Slingerland built in the late 50's, came with a bass drum mount for the ride cymbal, and I hated it. I would tighten it as much as I could, but that mount had a bad tendency to slip, whereupon my 22" ride would wind slowly fall toward the floor. There's even a video from that period of Gene Krupa soloing on national television as his ride takes a dive. The first alteration I made to those Slingerlands was to get stands for my two cymbals (it had a second bass mount for the 17" crash).

Maybe the modern mounts are more stable, but I'll pass.

I do note that most of you who use them seem to set them up so the arm is straight up. My setup required the arm to be at an angle, which puts more strain on the mount.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Excellent condition DW Collectors BOP kit I picked up in the NYC last year. Came with the bass drum mounted cymbal arm and I love it.
IMG_0157.jpg

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had too many of them go south on me in performance over the years. It's not like the bass drum doesn't have enough stress on it already.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all of my kits have some sort of bass drum mounted ride cymbal arm, either a classic-style "L" arm on a dedicated mount plate or a boom tilter clamped to a central rack tom mounting post. The INDe BR-3 combination lug figures into a couple of those setups. I always play a four-piece, with the ride low and just to the right of the rack tom; I find that the weight of the cymbal balances that of the tom and makes the bass drum feel more stable, especially vintage bass drums with the short radial spurs. I've played a couple of vintage kits with the tom slung out to the left and no counterbalance; the bass drums often feel like they want to roll over to the left.

Mike

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like CSR, I use two cymbal mounts on my bass drums - one for the ride cymbal, and another one on top for the splash cymbal. I've always loved that arrangement, and that's how I'll do it till the end.

Yes, the older Slingerland and Ludwig and Gretsch cymbal mounts had a bad tendency to grip the cymbal L-arm bracket too loosely, and it was not at all uncommon to see ride cymbals simply fall. I use the Gibraltar-style mounts now and have never had one loosen.

As with all modern drum hardware, dramatic improvements have been made in the stability of these mounts. I like my ride cymbal on the bass drum to set very low, so I simply remove the tilter from the upper tube, cut the tube in half, reinstall the tilter, then do the same for the L-arm. This makes for a very low ride cymbal height but with enough extension remaining in case the extra height is needed.

These mounting receivers are also great for mounting cowbells, tambourines, blocks - whatever you need, wherever you need it. I've seen some folks installing these on their floor toms to hold cymbals and cowbells and even tablets.
Slingerland BD Cymbal Arm 001.JPG

GeeDeeEmm
Slingerland BD Cymbal Arm 001.JPG

Latest posts