Mounting a bell to a floor tom

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I want to mount either my cowbell or jam block to my floor tom so it sits suspended above the tom. I currently have a bell mounted to a cymbal stand but can't seem to find anything for the floor tom. I see plenty of options for mounting it on a stand or bass drum. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere in the past but can't remember. I thought about mounting something like what's in the attached picture to the floor tom hoop and inserting a straight rod but I don't know if that will work. I don't know how the clearance would be since a bass hoop is thicker. Anybody have any ideas?
Screenshot_20190108-124743.png

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
On my suitcase kit, my "FT" is an old 6.5x14 snare. I drilled FT mounts into the shell and when I set it up, I put one of the FT legs thru the cowbell clamp (an LP plastic green one) and clamp it so it sits just under the shell and sticks out to the right when I need it. I hardly use it for that gig but it's good to have. I don't have a picture handy.......

To mount over the drum, maybe you can either get a long FT leg and mount on top (depending on how high/low your FT sits), or maybe use a mic clip and try to mount it there.

I am also guessing either an Inde or Ludwig Atlas contraption exists that you can install swapping out one of your top lugs and will either add a post (attached) or adds just a mount into which you add the another part (the post)....not sure.

I googled "cowbell on top of floor tom" and found Meinl makes a rim clamp (like a mic clamp) with the post also attached. It's $30 but I am sure you can shop around. This is what I'd do and it says it will clamp onto any drum rim:

http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/Stands-Hardware/Cowbell-Mounts/Meinl-RIMCLAMP-Rim-Clamp-Accessory-Mount.html
clamp.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, those were some quick responses. I'm gonna research tonight with what all of you have suggested.
Thanks!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I forgot about this great option... The INDe BR3. You replace one of the existing drum lugs with the INDe BR3 and you not only get the lug back but a accessory/tom mounting bracket as well.
This will work with different mounting rods (9.5, 10.5, AND 12.7MM) and is adjustable enough to fit a variety of shell mounting holes.

INDe link: https://www.indedrum.com/drum-upgrades-accessories/br3
INDe vid :

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Spartan

Reaction score
I've used older versions of the LP Claw before. It worked, but there was certainly room for improvement. That Dunnett clamp looks excellent. Low-profile, simple, and effective.

One thing the LP has that I don't see on the others is a vertical rotation adjustment for the mounting bracket. It seems like most are fixed at straight vertical.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I read about the LP claw and all I see are bad reviews. Apparently the new design is not very sturdy. I found this Gibraltar and it looks pretty good and has a pretty low cost. It has the ability to rotate where you attach the rod which makes it convenient for positioning. I've had good luck with Gibraltar products.
What do you think about it in comparison to your suggestions?
Screenshot 2019-01-08 at 9.00.26 PM.png

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Tama hoop grip clamp is exactly what you need. I've been using one for several months now w/o problems. Simple and effective.
Would you have a photo image of that Tama product in action, it looks like a pretty good option.

I read about the LP claw and all I see are bad reviews. Apparently the new design is not very sturdy. I found this Gibraltar and it looks pretty good and has a pretty low cost. It has the ability to rotate where you attach the rod which makes it convenient for positioning. I've had good luck with Gibraltar products.
What do you think about it in comparison to your suggestions?
Gibraltar has got some pretty good solutions. If that fits the bill I would get one from a store with a good return policy and give it a try. Also at the price point of ~ 22-bucks, its hard to go wrong.

I curious as to what the Tama and Dunnet solutions look like in the real world... hopefully some pics will get posted.
Looks like the INDe solution is pretty solid too, but it does come in slightly more than the other, but it may well be worth it.

Last edited:

evilg99

Reaction score

Latest posts