Mounting a bell to a floor tom

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the Gibraltar from Musicians Friend. I went into my account and forgot that I had some points accumulated so might as well get it from there. They had the Gibraltar and the LP claw. The claw was almost $18 more and all I've read are negative reviews about it. After applying my rewards points, I ended up paying $7 for the Gibraltar. Can't go wrong with that! Hopefully it's good and it does the job. I will try it out when I get it in a few days and will post the results.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Found this on You tube; there are a number of videos, just search Tama MC8.
They don't say what size rod will fit. Probably have to search the parts catalog for that.
sherm
Good find... thanks for posting it up... looks like a good solution.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Gibraltar SC-CMBRA cymbal attachment. I clamp it to the top of my floor tom leg and attach the cowbell to the cymbal shaft. Extremely sturdy, easily positioned, takes up no space.

You can see it in the second pic, just above the first floor tom. Of course, you can place it wherever you'd like. The arm allows almost unlimited positioning latitude.

GeeDeeEmm

Drum Set 002.JPG

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would you have a photo image of that Tama product in action, it looks like a pretty good option.

Gibraltar has got some pretty good solutions. If that fits the bill I would get one from a store with a good return policy and give it a try. Also at the price point of ~ 22-bucks, its hard to go wrong.

I curious as to what the Tama and Dunnet solutions look like in the real world... hopefully some pics will get posted.
Looks like the INDe solution is pretty solid too, but it does come in slightly more than the other, but it may well be worth it.
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it mounted on a floor tom in the standard position. I took it off my floor tom and have relocated it on the triple-flange hoop of my Metro Jam 16" bass drum. Without this Tama clamp it would be impossible to mount my cowbell in the conventional spot without resorting to a larger/heavier multiclamp off the central tom post.

In my version, I use a 90-degree L-post for the cowbell, but if you attach it to the top hoop of a floor tom set up in the conventional way (played vertically, not horizontally as shown here), it works the same way and all you need is a straight rod. It's rock solid, doesn't move at all no matter how hard you wack the cowbell, and it's very unobtrusive. It's how I prefer my equipment: simple and cleanly designed, reliable, and functional.

IMG_8074.JPG IMG_8074.JPG

Attachments

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up cribbon.

Boy-oh-boy, I never realized how many cool gadgets there really are out there!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's crazy how much stuff they make and I want to buy all of it. I came back to playing after a few years off. It's amazing how things have changed. When I played back in the late 80's and all of the 90's, you would go to a music store and buy drums, cymbals, hardware and sticks and you were good to go. Now I find myself researching (and possibly buying) something new every day.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
10173805_1663013297260921_59261358890931331_n.jpg
I read about the LP claw and all I see are bad reviews. Apparently the new design is not very sturdy. I found this Gibraltar and it looks pretty good and has a pretty low cost. It has the ability to rotate where you attach the rod which makes it convenient for positioning. I've had good luck with Gibraltar products.
What do you think about it in comparison to your suggestions?
View attachment 383258
I've been using these for years, mostly the ones with cymbal mounts, but I have one for cowbells & another threaded for microphones. They are fast to clip on and work like a charm. One of mine is over 10 years old & still running after who knows how many gigs.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
View attachment 383400
I've been using these for years, mostly the ones with cymbal mounts, but I have one for cowbells & another threaded for microphones. They are fast to clip on and work like a charm. One of mine is over 10 years old & still running after who knows how many gigs.
You've been using for years the Gibraltar or LP?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Gibraltar is the one I'e been using for years
Cool! Good to hear. MF just shipped it out to me yesterday so I should be getting it in a few days. Looks good and for the price I don't think you can go wrong. And I like Gibraltar stuff. 95% of my hardware is Gibraltar.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use the Gibraltar SC-CMBRA cymbal attachment. I clamp it to the top of my floor tom leg and attach the cowbell to the cymbal shaft. Extremely sturdy, easily positioned, takes up no space.

You can see it in the second pic, just above the first floor tom. Of course, you can place it wherever you'd like. The arm allows almost unlimited positioning latitude.

GeeDeeEmm

View attachment 383276
That looks good. I ordered the Gibraltar claw. We'll see how it works! Nice drums by the way

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry it's OT, but Cribbon, foam packing peanuts in a bass drum????
Yep. They take just enough ring out of the bass drum without killing the volume (I sometimes use this kit with a classic rock band).

2018-07-14-Alibis005.JPG 2018-08-11-Birdcage001.JPG

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Gibraltar claw percussion holder arrived a couple of days ago. I just put it up tonight along with my LP Jam block. The claw is great! I can't believe this thing costs $22. The LP claw is twice as expensive. It's super sturdy, seems like it will last and it looks great. It doesn't move at all and it has nice and thick rubber pads that protect the rim. I like it! Thanks for all your suggestions!
claw1.JPG
claw2.JPG