Mounting options for toms with diamond plate slip-on clips ?

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One can even purchase a diamond base plate to fit Ludwig.

View attachment 539228

Thanks for the heads up John. I'm on a pretty tight budget, but still good to know there's another option. Appreciated.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find spades are tom chokers. I generally replace the spade with an L arm in the consollette and add a rims mount to the tom. No holes, nothing irreversible & it opens up the tom and makes it way more adjustable and giggable.

D

DBT

I follow you. Yes, if you left the 90 degree bend in the L arm then it should work fine. I'm not sure of the point to doing it that way but you would gain a bunch of height if that was needed, although it would limit how low you could go once your center post bottomed out in the bracket.

Here's mine at a more recent gig.
View attachment 539231
View attachment 539281

As John pointed out the INDe tom mounts will grip a spade arm so there's probably your easiest way to get there.
How do you use your mufflers ? Just a little touch to the heads ?

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you use your mufflers ? Just a little touch to the heads ?
Personally I don't use the mufflers. If something needs toning down I'll figure out an external means to accomplish it. I'm terrible at tuning drums though so probably the wrong person to ask.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
latzanimal said:
Yamaha made ball mount with a clip in the 80's.... HALWAY

In theory, the Yamaha ball mount with clip sounds like a great option. However, the spade on the Yamaha is too thick to fit into the spade clip on a Ludwig drum. I know this from personal experience because I have the Yamaha clip mount and tried it on a Ludwig tom. Unfortunately they aren't compatible.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In theory, the Yamaha ball mount with clip sounds like a great option. However, the spade on the Yamaha is too thick to fit into the spade clip on a Ludwig drum. I know this from personal experience because I have the Yamaha clip mount and tried it on a Ludwig tom. Unfortunately they aren't compatible.
Also I believe the Yamaha ball arms are a size unto themselves so they'll only work with Yamaha hardware. I think Tama also has their own size. Gibraltar, DW, Gretsch, Ludwig, (and others) use the same size balls and will interchange. I think all those various brands of hardware come out of the same Asian factory and share some DNA at a basic level.

It was fun looking through that Yamaha catalog. I fell in love with their hardware back in that era.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Yamaha ball arms have the same size ball as DW, Tama, Premier and Gibraltar. At least according to my measurements and experiences. I was curious so I measured all 5 brands and they are all approximately 40 mm in diameter and will fit into each others clamping mechanisms and tighten up. I can't speak to Gretsch or Ludwig ball mounts since I don't happen to own either of those brands. I do have some more generic ball mounts (Cosmic Percussion or Groove Percussion I think) that have a slightly larger ball that won't work with the Yamaha, DW, Tama, Premier and Gibraltar mounts. Hope that gives everyone some useful information.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Yamaha ball arms have the same size ball as DW, Tama, Premier and Gibraltar. At least according to my measurements and experiences. I was curious so I measured all 5 brands and they are all approximately 40 mm in diameter and will fit into each others clamping mechanisms and tighten up. I can't speak to Gretsch or Ludwig ball mounts since I don't happen to own either of those brands. I do have some more generic ball mounts (Cosmic Percussion or Groove Percussion I think) that have a slightly larger ball that won't work with the Yamaha, DW, Tama, Premier and Gibraltar mounts. Hope that gives everyone some useful information.
Gretsch and Ludwig interchange.