Moving on From Zildjian? Thoughts!

jaymandude

Reaction score
I saw that ad! Thought about the 22" a bit, but they seem just a little too airy for me.

I tried an S series 24" ride on our last tour. I wasn't a fan. Way too gongy and weirdly bright. The pre2013 24" A mediums were a perfect balance for me.

And hearing myself isn't the issue, it's the whole vibe of the band. It's just very aggressive.
Can you post the band please ?

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I’m curious if you played new 2002s or 1970’s 2002s? They really are night & day difference The new Giant Beats are more inline with the sound of the 70’s 2002s. Which are thinner warmer sounding cymbals. I’d give the Giant Beats or vintage 1970’s 2002s a listen before ruling out Paiste. I also use big cymbals in 15“ hats and 18’“ & 20” crashes.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Big Beats or Giant Beats? They come in the sizes you like.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd stick with Zildjians

that sheet sounded fantastic

where's the lyric sheet? Like to hear what he was singing about

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved Fisherman's Vow. Sounds like super-fun music to play.

And watching that gives me a LOT more of a sense of what you might be looking for. Definitely not my cymbals, and not most Turkish cymbals, I'd guess. My immediate thoughts on hearing this were to think

K Custom Hybrids?
Paiste Big Beats?
Some of the newer Paiste Rude models?

dirtcity

Reaction score
Surprised you haven't explored Sabians.
I've played lots of Sabians. They're fine, just never really spoke to me, you know? But I may look into the AA 24" and see how it compares. I never have played that one.

dirtcity

Reaction score
I'd stick with Zildjians

that sheet sounded fantastic

where's the lyric sheet? Like to hear what he was singing about
Thank you! I really appreciate that. Definitely out of the norm for this board. All the lyrics for the latest album were written by me. It's a concept record, and you can read all the lyrics at our bandcamp site, down next to each song title you can click a link to open lyrics. https://horseburner.bandcamp.com/

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
And you know what... When those Zildjians get chunks out and 'split s in em'... they sound better.. Play em till they croak (lol
Then start over.
No cymbal will withstand the attack or sound any better.
just doesn't exist.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've played lots of Sabians. They're fine, just never really spoke to me, you know? But I may look into the AA 24" and see how it compares. I never have played that one.
You know, maybe Zildjian would make you a heavier 24. Maybe try to go through a big dealer like Drum Center of portsmouth.

BTW, I'm watching how you play. You are coming straight down on the cymbals a lot. Don't get me wrong-- you sound fantastic. But I'd imagine you'd break fewer cymbals if you made every hit a glancing blow. Kinda imagining your arms moving in an arc when you hit rather than up and down.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I looked at the way he has em set up and he's not bashing them against the stand stem for example So that's good.
And heavier cymbal may not 'give' as much and crack up faster..
thinner big ones may last outlast longer..
I dunno how thin of a 24 A one can get but that may last a lil longer.
Hate to see a 24 K Light break...but ...if you're making money with them cymbals are disposable items..
or get an endorsement from some company

At least you don't go thru drum heads : DD
drums sounded good
drumsticks too seemed to be holding up...
ultimately need a cymbal endorsement willing to give a blank check; ))

Last edited:

dirtcity

Reaction score
You know, maybe Zildjian would make you a heavier 24. Maybe try to go through a big dealer like Drum Center of portsmouth.

BTW, I'm watching how you play. You are coming straight down on the cymbals a lot. Don't get me wrong-- you sound fantastic. But I'd imagine you'd break fewer cymbals if you made every hit a glancing blow. Kinda imagining your arms moving in an arc when you hit rather than up and down.
So where I don't have wingnuts or top felts, my cymbals sway pretty heavily, I play through the cymbal more than straight down on it normally. And any major riding is usually done with a flick of the wrist for that glancing blow. Never 100% of the time obviously, but pretty regularly.

Interestingly, almost any time my cymbals crack, it's usually along lathing lines. I've only broken a couple on the edge in 20 years. The one in the video was a lathe line crack that I tried to cut out with metal shears to stop it from spreading. Worked for the remainder of that tour at least! My first 24" that I loved got a crack along the lathing by the bell.

I wonder about the custom order thing. I'll have to do some looking into that.

dirtcity

Reaction score
I looked at the way he has em set up and he's not bashing them against the stand stem for example So that's good.
And heavier cymbal may not 'give' as much and crack up faster..
thinner big ones may last outlast longer..
I dunno how thin of a 24 A one can get but that may last a lil longer.
Hate to see a 24 K Light break...but ...if you're making money with them cymbals are disposable items..
or get an endorsement from some company

At least you don't go thru drum heads : DD
drums sounded good
drumsticks too seemed to be holding up...
ultimately need a cymbal endorsement willing to give a blank check; ))
I have a 24 K Light but I'd never use it for that band. I love recording with it though! It's gorgeous.

My main thing I break actually are sticks. I go through lots of those. Normally 2-4 every couple shows. Full time rim shots.

My heads are always in pretty good shape. I don't dent many.

And that's another reason I looked into Soultone and their artist deal, seems like they're very inexpensive. If only I dug the way they sound! haha

Reactions: JDA

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised I haven't been shamed for breaking stuff yet! I really do use the glancing blow, I swear. It's just a really hard blow.

I'm not crazy about A Customs. Too shimmery for me. I used to have a 20" ping ride that I actually did enjoy, but I sold that to a buddy a while back.

I may try out a smaller Xist like you said. I'm in the market for a left side 20" crash/ride since mine is.. you know... broken. The 22" Xist ride is just over $200 and the 24" is $511. 22 might do me nicely.
The Xist 24’s are thin and jazzy sounding. The 22’s are a more all purpose weight. I’m a big fan of the Xist series. I was an Istanbul Agop endorser for 15 years and have played thru all the lines, and I’ve bought out of my own pocket many Xists in the last several years.

dirtcity

Reaction score
The Xist 24’s are thin and jazzy sounding. The 22’s are a more all purpose weight. I’m a big fan of the Xist series. I was an Istanbul Agop endorser for 15 years and have played thru all the lines, and I’ve bought out of my own pocket many Xists in the last several years.
Interesting info on the weights, thank you for letting me know that. It's kind of difficult to tell in video demos sometimes. I just know I love when Dave Turncrantz uses them. I also love that you continue to use them after the endorsement. Shows that you actually like and appreciate the product!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Interesting info on the weights, thank you for letting me know that. It's kind of difficult to tell in video demos sometimes. I just know I love when Dave Turncrantz uses them. I also love that you continue to use them after the endorsement. Shows that you actually like and appreciate the product!
You ever get down to CymbalHouse way (or over..) in Kentucky?..
Covington..

jaymandude

Reaction score

Sounds great. Thanks for posting :) You probably play harder live with a crowd ( whenever that happens again), but honestly, you're not hitting that hard to me. what I mean is, it's not VIOLENT HEY I"M YELLING NOTICE ME I"M BAD ASS !!!! It's musical and appropriate. Grips a little tight for us old farts around here, but it's working for you.

All kinds of good advice already. Like Sabian just for the 24. Or keep buying used Zildjians when something looks right.

Thanks for all the posts. See you around..

dirtcity

Reaction score
Sounds great. Thanks for posting :) You probably play harder live with a crowd ( whenever that happens again), but honestly, you're not hitting that hard to me. what I mean is, it's not VIOLENT HEY I"M YELLING NOTICE ME I"M BAD ASS !!!! It's musical and appropriate. Grips a little tight for us old farts around here, but it's working for you.

All kinds of good advice already. Like Sabian just for the 24. Or keep buying used Zildjians when something looks right.

Thanks for all the posts. See you around..
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Definitely more power live. And of course, not every note, but when we get to big sections, yeah, I swing. Also, it seems like the only 24"s Sabian makes now are the Bash ride and then a bunch of even lighter options. Not sure any of those are going to fit the bill. I suppose I just keep looking out for 90s/early 00s Mediums.