Mr. Big!!!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I loved this band. Why they weren't bigger, I don't get. IMHO, Eric Martin is one of the best rock & roll singers on the planet. Torpey! Gilbert! Sheehan. Jeesh, such talent.

And of course, the hair envy I had/have...Oy!

OK, I'm done.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Sheehan went on to play in a prog band called Niacin with John Novello on keys and Dennis Chambers.
Great band and worth a listen

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
If your only hit was what their only hit was you would not be popular either. People(girls) bought the disc thinking the whole album was going to be like the radio song. Tell non musicians how talented they are and they will laugh at you!

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, I saw them open for Rush on the Presto tour. They rocked hard.
Yep! I saw them as well with Rush. I had forgotten about that!
Great band.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t play guitar and I enjoy watching Paul Gilbert videos

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I swear I read they were doing one last album dedicated to Pat. I'm not sure if they ever released it, or still plan on it. They were great, one of my favorites. Saw them with Rush as well.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of my favorite bands. Every single guy in that band is (was) a monster on their chosen instrument. To this day, "Alive and Kickin" is my go to song when I am driving on a quiet road, windows down, pedal to the metal :cool:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw them open for Rush, too. This reminded me. They were very good but Rush were great.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also saw them open for Rush in Pittsburgh. Paul Gilbert grew up in my hometown of Greensburg, PA. Buddies of mine used to take their amps to his dad for repair.
Pat Torpey was a great drummer - RIP

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1988 or 1989, I walked into a record store where either Mister Mister or Mister Big was doing an in-store signing. I was in there for a solid 45 minutes with a grim determination to 1. Not acknowledge the band sharing the same small space (perhaps 12x15). 2. Make no eye contact. That’s what it’s like being a rock snob. It’s work.

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The band doesn’t grab me but they are grand players with really nice hair in that video.

I took my son to a Sheehan bass clinic in Marin county years ago. He was wonderful.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If your only hit was what their only hit was you would not be popular either. People(girls) bought the disc thinking the whole album was going to be like the radio song. Tell non musicians how talented they are and they will laugh at you!
I worked in a record store and begged the old ladies to JUST buy the single. It was the most returned album by far!

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mr. Big was great! I just listened to Lean Into It about a week ago. The live cover of 30 Days in the Hole is probably my favorite song they released.

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two MR.BIG covers I did myself & with friends...
Pat Torpey I think is one of the greatest rock drummers of all time.
He has amazing technique & ability to do anything and everything, still so musical and grooving.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why weren't they bigger? I don't quite know what it is about these super groups, but they just can't capture the attention of the masses. It's like they're "too good" or something...or maybe seen as "inauthentic"...I don't know. I like them OK. They never enticed me to buy a record.