Mr. Tamborine Man session

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, if the Wrecking Crew were indeed the ones playing on "Turn, Turn, Turn", I have lost a lot of respect for them since it took them 5 days and 78 takes to get the song down. I guess they made the secret session tapes with Michael Clarke clearly audible on them just to dupe the public some 50 odd years later.
Yeah, you have a copy of these super secret session tapes Shiloh? I’d love to listen to them. The idea of a high powered, top notch producer like Melcher wasting 5 days of studio time and 78 takes to get a drum track down has my sides aching, But OK.

This brings to mind the Documentary “Hit Like A Girl” about Hole Drummer Patty Schemel. Very interesting and reveling watch.

When Geffen was going to release Hole’s third and ground breaking album “Celebrity Skin” they brought in Notorious producer Michael Beinhorn. Courtney Love clearly states in the documentary that she and others knew that Beinhorn used a studio drummer on all of his projects, that is just how it is done.

Still, Beinhorn let Schemel flail away for 2 weeks before she finally quit and he brought in Dean Castronova of Journey fame. Schemel is still credited as the drummer in the album, and no doubt there is ample audio evidence of her actually playing drums to songs from that album but none of it made it to the actual album.

Interesting thing about Beinhorn, even though he is notorious for replacing a bands drummer, if you look at his body of work up to Celibrity Skin there is not one album he recorded where the drummer of the band is not credited as the drummer on the album. So odd, how do you think that could have happened Shiloh? You don’t think they would lie to us do you?

Thing is, Blaine is on record as saying that where there was not an isolated drum track he would play right over it. Certainly with the level of musicians Melcher had access to he could just redo the whole rhythm track in a few takes.

McGuinn seems like a nice guy, certainly comes off as honest to me. I wonder if he sat in that studio for five long days straight watching Clarke fumble through all 78 takes just waiting to lay his twelve string down?

Last edited:

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Byrds session tapes, along with the Beach Boys sessions, were on a bootleg series called Unsurpassed Masters. You can find them on ebay or discogs. None of this stuff is shrouded in any mystery. At least in the case of The Beach Boys, it was known as far back as 1966 that they were using outside musicians in some instances.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And as far as the AFM sheets being doctored or faked, that is utter bs. The only way those session guys were able to get paid for their studio work was by the contractor submitting those sheets to the union.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And as far as the AFM sheets being doctored or faked, that is utter bs. The only way those session guys were able to get paid for their studio work was by the contractor submitting those sheets to the union.
Oh no? Someone couldn’t have just slipped them a handful of moonlighting cash?

Latest posts