msytery mij stencil rogers kit?

rock roll

Reaction score
i bought this kit a few weeks ago because looking at it , it had re-rings and was cheap . but the snare and toms i coundnt figure out.
snare seems like a stencil with rerings but had what looked like a rogers style throw and leedy lugs.
floor tom has rogers tighters on the legs and not the normal stencil leg mounts.
the mounted tom has what remind me of old premier tightners, same as the bass drum cymbal mount.tho i think i rember some ludwigs used the same style tightners for a little bit.
the bass drum does have a rail mount.
but the tom doesnt have a diamond slot mount, it has a hole mount.

i bought the book - vintage stencil drums by marc patch.
where i learned thar in 1967 yamaha made for rogers an entry lvl rogers kit. with a r-360 and r-380 oval badge....my badge is gone unfortunately.

heres are the pics....

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
None of those drums is Rogers, R360 or otherwise. The leg mounts may have been sourced from the same supplier, or they're close copies that had the wingnuts replaced years later, after the original was lost.
Lots of cheap Japanese drums in the 60's used knockoffs of strainers, lugs etc, in the 60's and 70's. Easier to make a copy than to design your own...

rock roll

Reaction score
I know it's not a Rogers like we think of Rogers, but Rogers hired Yamaha in 1967 to make a stencil kit...low budget.under the Rogers name.
I'm wondering if this is that?

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can not see any pics on your post here - will try to look a bit later tonight and will let you know.
I know my vintage MIJ quite well (IMHO)

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think that what you have is a drum set made up of drums from at least two cheap Asian no-name drum sets. Chances are very strong that all of the drums were made by the same factory with the same red sparkle wrap. The mounted tom and the bass drum have two different types of mounting hardware. The metal parts (lugs, bass drum spur and cymbal rod receivers, tom leg receivers, snare throw off and butt, etc.) are all either generic stuff or copies of name brand parts. The Rogers wing screws just happened to work as replacements for the original parts that came with those generic tom leg receivers. If you got the drums for very little money, you may be able to enjoy them as a beater set. I wouldn't advise putting any more money into the drums except for replacing heads that need to be replaced.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The snare drum pictured was manufactured by Star and shows in the 1963 catalog, with the exact same lugs, strainer and hoops! It was the catalog no. 2256. Here's my 2256 Star snare drum from 1961. A Slingerland RK clone! Slingerland must have caught wind of this and put the pressure on to stop it!

-Mark

Attachments

rock roll

Reaction score
To..W&A player,
I agree it's not one kit. Red sparkle is very common.
All the hardware is clearly stencil except the legs of the floor tom.
I got it at a great price, and will play it briefly before it goes on the shelf with my other 9 kits.

To..iDrum4fun...thx for the pics...my main question on the snare was the lugs..and you got a pic of it., thx again.

To...DanC,
Thx for the link to the r380, the hardware is nothing like mine.

rockstarmarc

Reaction score
Hello. In the pictures above the bass drum was made by Hoshino (K). The snare drum was made by Star early to mid 60's. The rack tom was made by Hoshino (K). I can't quite see the lugs on the floor tom, but the edge of the lug looks like Pearl. That wingnut didn't come with it. The Rogers R-360/380 have lugs that were exclusive to them and don't look like typical stencils. Hope this clears this up. And thanks for buying the book!

rock roll

Reaction score
Hello. In the pictures above the bass drum was made by Hoshino (K). The snare drum was made by Star early to mid 60's. The rack tom was made by Hoshino (K). I can't quite see the lugs on the floor tom, but the edge of the lug looks like Pearl. That wingnut didn't come with it. The Rogers R-360/380 have lugs that were exclusive to them and don't look like typical stencils. Hope this clears this up. And thanks for buying the book!
Thank you for the info.

I also traded for a blue sparkle mij set a few years ago that had a pearl signature style badge snare. .. No badges on the 20" bass drum and mounted tom or on the 14" floor tom . A buddy's kids grew up on it and gigged a few times til college and military sent them away . The bass drum legs had been ripped out, I have them , but I want to turn it into a 20"x10" , make it into a thin bass drum for small gigs. Not sure when , if ever I'll get to that , I'll have to look for someone to do it for me.

If you know anyone near northern va , I am looking to get rid of a few sets.either cheap or free......14 drumsets in a small house doesn't allow me to enjoy them as I want to.

I should post em in a dfo thread at some point.

Thx again for the info.