Muffling

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I see lots of threads about wanting more stick and darker wash and quicker fade, but almost none of the suggestions involve muffing.
My ride is super bright almost like a triangle ping in it, cuts like a knife. I muffle it pretty hard most of the time and it darkens the tone brings out the stick and controls the wash.
I see plenty of top pro drummers on you tube with tape and or moon gels on their cymbals. Wondering why it is not embraced here.
20190614_143317.jpg

stuart s

Reaction score
I only do that with my B8 china , but with any ride, if I tape it up like that I always end up liking the sound better without the muffling. Even tough I like the darker wash, I like longer fades with it too.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's some heavy muffling!
Tape (masking tape probably) has been used for a long time, see pics of Tony Williams and others form the 50s/60s.
I've come back to using less tape, maybe a bit underneath the bell, after hearing some of my taped cymbals out front that sounded too dry. As with drums, listen in context and from the audience perspective if possible. You might like the sizzle/chime etc. within the band.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I tape cymbals often - no shame there. But I use blue painter's tape which is very easy to remove. Back in the day, I used clear packaging tape. Then when you decide to remove it, it is a major pain! Same with duct tape......

I typically use a 1" wide x 3" long strip and either do a triangle pattern (tip on top away from me) or a cross pattern (3/6/9/12) on the underside. Once in a while, I put a piece under the bell.......it just depends on the cymbal, what sound you want, and the blue tape is easy to peel and re-attach so lots of trial and error......

Last edited:

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Glad i am not the only one. That duct tape sure can be sticky but i take it off and move it around and handle it quite a bit and it gets alot less sticky.
I totally agree with you on different spots needing different amounts of muffle too, and that many times we can't tell from behind the kit. Lucky that way- our singer likes to mess with drums so when i am doing up our sound and levels i have him sit at the kit for me.
Also, i put a tiny bit of tape on my snare side often too.
Happy to say though that with tune bot i no longer use any muffle on my toms.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You get to a certain point where you realize there are no rules...

Ironically, most of our idols broke a lot of the rules contained in the 2019 Edition of The Drummer's Book of Rules. Tape....old heads...cracked cymbals...single headed bass drums....dead toms...mixed hardware... mixed brands...no cases...no tune bots.... And millions of great records.

Mind blowing what the pros back in the day played on compared to the average hobbiest today. Lol

We spend twenty minutes picking a ride out of a pile of rides... They grabbed their "cymbals" and a roll of tape and went to work...lol.

Amazing how close I can get a $100 20" A medium ride to sound like a $400 "Turkish" special dry cymbal with a few pieces of tape... :)

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How to tape, when to tape, where to tape, what kind of tape, how to remove tape, who used tape, who didn't use tape....
It's all here somewhere, just not at the top of the thread list currently.

Yes, that is quite the taping/taming job on your cymbal, I guess you've really got a ringer there.
No rules, whatever it takes to make your ears happy.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I see lots of threads about wanting more stick and darker wash and quicker fade, but almost none of the suggestions involve muffing.
My ride is super bright almost like a triangle ping in it, cuts like a knife. I muffle it pretty hard most of the time and it darkens the tone brings out the stick and controls the wash.
I see plenty of top pro drummers on you tube with tape and or moon gels on their cymbals. Wondering why it is not embraced here.
View attachment 400278
I did that one time with a 21" A. Rock Ride I had back in the 90's.
I used black electrical tape.
I ran the tape edge to edge, at the mid point between the hole in the middle and the edge.
4 pieces, each 90 degrees from each other. It made a square on the underside of the my cymbal.
I started with the cymbal completely taped, and altered the sound slightly by pulling some of the tape off each end.
When I found a sound I liked, I trimmed the tape and played it just like that.
Took an overly washy cymbal and calmed it down just enough so you could hear the ping, but left some siblance in the cymbal.
Like you say, though, it added some wood to the ping and darkened it, too.
Years later I decided to pull all the tape off and what I found was the spots where the tape was, it cleaned all the dirt and grime off the cymbal and made it all shiny. Like new!
Strange occurance, but I've heard others who've had the same experience.

Elvis

Stickclick

Reaction score
I got tired of putting tape on and off cymbals so I made an o ring from cardboard from a beer carton. Now I can put it on an off easily. Seems to work OK.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I've never had much luck taping cymbals. It seems that I only get a more muted version of the same thing. Duh, I suppose that's what the cymbal-tapers want, but to me it only dulls the sounds I don't want without bringing out sounds I do want. I'm also not sure that my ear is good enough to really know whether or not the tape helps. I end up taking the tape off and just dealing with the cymbal as it is, though confess to adding some tape now and then to see whether that helps.