header.nohb.html

Multiple Kit owners

Sonorlite

Forgive him for he knows not what he does.
Reaction score
4) Its custom - and not everyone wants anothers choice in sizes(s) finish.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
Getting back on track with the thread, I've got a mini kit with a 16x12 bass drum and I find this kit just as playable as my larger kits. Granted, these days, I play mostly smaller sizes and smaller kits anyway, but I find most kits, if one takes the time to set them up and tune them properly, can be made very playable. For example, I often hear people talk about the perils of changing from a 20 or 22 inch bass drum to a small bass drum, like a 16. I use 16, 18, and 20 inch bass drums, and I've got them set up so they all feel very similar. Consequently, switching between them is fairly instant - I really don't notice much difference.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
Sonorlite said:
4) It's custom - and not everyone wants another's choice in sizes(s) and finish.
Yep, this too. :icon_smile:

cruddyeye

Associate in Charge of Something
Reaction score
I've got 79 Slingys, 13-(14)-18-24 that I use with the rock cover band I play with. I also have a mis-matched kit that I use with my jazz group, 18 inch Carlton tenor for bass drum, gretsch catalina 14 inch floor, and renown 12 inch tom. Also Have a collection or Gretsch RB drums micced and set up at home for recording that don't usually leave the house, 12-14-18. Also have a suitcase kit, that I use sometimes and a Roland TD 12 set up at our jam spot for Friday night jams. I have a newer set of Renown maples that are stacked up in the corner that I don't play and might be selling soon. So other than the new renowns they all have a different use.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I usually own 3 or 4 kits at a time. Half the fun is taking them out on gigs & seeing what works best and why. I feel more inconvenienced/handicapped when a cymbal set-up doesn't work for a gig. That is where my OCD lies.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've already stated that, when I actively gigged a lot, I never owned more than one drum set at any time. Thinking back on those years, it would have been fun to show up to gigs with a different drum set time after time. The guitar players and bass players would frequently show up with new instruments and/or new amps and effects. Many times they would bring multiple instruments, We all know that the keyboard players are always getting new gear that they use for making the same few pet sounds.

Manicoti

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
TDM said:
Manicoti,

I don't want this to turn into an anti-Tempus thread, but of the kits I rotate, the only one I found that affected my paying is a Tempus, and thus I rarely use it now. This speaks to the fact that the energy surrounding a kit can influence the player. As pretty much everyone at DFO knows, Paul Mason ripped me off on a custom Tempus order. The resulting drums arrived incomplete and have a bunch of flaws that Mason refused to (or was incapable of) repairing. Once I fixed the drums up, the end result sounds good, but I don't trust the kit for various reasons. Plus, there's the fact that every time that kit is on my bandstand, it brings bad memories. So, other than my Tempus kit, I don't find my other kits affect my playing in negative ways. My kits all set up almost identically so I don't find much change going from one to another.
No worries. Just proves my point how a persons mindset can have an affect either way :)