Multiple kits, do I sell one?????

drumsforme

Reaction score
Question: How and where do you keep 16 kits? do you have them setup or stored or how do you do it?
I'd like to know because I too would love to collect. So far I'm starting to collect cymbals. In my case I have 1 kit but it's really big. I have a dedicated room in my house for my music but I can't see more than 2 kits set up in the room. My current set takes up a big chunk of the space already. By the way, I too am from South Florida but moved up to the center of the state about 4 years ago.

drumsforme

Reaction score
I have an attached garage that temperature varies from 50 degrees in winter to 85 degrees in summer. I run a dehumidifier and the entire Garage is shelved out....Bass drums along the bottom, next shelf up is floor toms, next is toms....etc. No more room here either....Lol !

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have five, one I gig/practice with regularly (RC), one for the practice room and recording session (PHX), a bop kit for small acoustic gigs (AHM) and a big kit to rock with (Ludwig 12-16-18-26). The last one is in a band space for my original group, it stays there permanently (Mapex Meridian Maple).

I try to rationalize one more kit, but...I'm actually set. I may buy a cheaper kit for some gigs that have multiple bands and I'm the backline for. I offer because I usually have the better gear of all the drummers on the bill, and I'm not too fussed if you change tom or cymbal angles on me. It's why I prefer Yamaha Drums for these types of things.

As to what kit to sell, although the SCB is 18x22, it's actually the more versatile, imo. IN other words, I can play an acoustic gig with a 22 but I can't play a high energy rock show with an 18 or a 20. The kit I would get selling a kit would be one with a shallower bass drum. 14" depth bass drums are coming back with a vengeance, and us "newbies" are finally figuring out that the old timers in the 50's and 60's actually had it right about drum sizes, as most of our kits are matching sizes from the drums played 50-60 years ago.

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
All my main kits are identical. 1 packed for playing out , 1 in the rehersal room , 1 at home for practicing , 1 2000 miles away for recording on a friends songs when I fly back and forth , spare drums for these kits and 2 Hal Blaine monster size kits. I also have spare cymbals. P.S. and a huge collection of 12x15 toms. All drums are 1980's Tama Superstars.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an attached garage that temperature varies from 50 degrees in winter to 85 degrees in summer. I run a dehumidifier and the entire Garage is shelved out....Bass drums along the bottom, next shelf up is floor toms, next is toms....etc. No more room here either....Lol !
That's great. I have a garage like that as well but it's already packed. When we bought our house my wife and I agreed on using one of the bedrooms as a dedicated room for my music. So no other room is available (as of now) for my hobby. I will come up with something in the future though. Maybe something like a wooden insulated and air conditioned backyard shed. Maybe a large one that would allow me to consolidate everything in there. Like that I would gain that room back in the house for normal use. Time to start figuring out how to convince my wife that this is a good idea!:unsure:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have five, one I gig/practice with regularly (RC), one for the practice room and recording session (PHX), a bop kit for small acoustic gigs (AHM) and a big kit to rock with (Ludwig 12-16-18-26). The last one is in a band space for my original group, it stays there permanently (Mapex Meridian Maple).

I try to rationalize one more kit, but...I'm actually set. I may buy a cheaper kit for some gigs that have multiple bands and I'm the backline for. I offer because I usually have the better gear of all the drummers on the bill, and I'm not too fussed if you change tom or cymbal angles on me. It's why I prefer Yamaha Drums for these types of things.

As to what kit to sell, although the SCB is 18x22, it's actually the more versatile, imo. IN other words, I can play an acoustic gig with a 22 but I can't play a high energy rock show with an 18 or a 20. The kit I would get selling a kit would be one with a shallower bass drum. 14" depth bass drums are coming back with a vengeance, and us "newbies" are finally figuring out that the old timers in the 50's and 60's actually had it right about drum sizes, as most of our kits are matching sizes from the drums played 50-60 years ago.
Actually if you mic it, a 20" bass drum is plenty good for even a metal gig. Just ask Mark Zonder (formerly Fates Warning); he went from his mega-mondo kit to a 4-piece with a 20" kick and 10 & 13 toms and didn't seem to have any problems.

MarkZonder020.jpg MarkZonder019.jpg

sass

Reaction score
I know when I was gigging I absolutely hated having to set everything back up in my rehearsal space the very next day to get ready for practice the following day. For me having a gig set and a stay at home set is the way to go. So I guess my answer is keep them or sell one and get another!

On that note.... And not to hijack the thread but this may be the perfect place to let everyone know I am on the hunt for a white onyx DW Frequent Flyer Kit. If anyone has one that is taking up too much space let me know!!!