Music Festival this past Saturday

chollyred2020

Reaction score
Actually a local Battle of the Bands with 12 bands competing for a paid gig this fall.
Anyway, watching all of these, primarily, younger drummers play, made me realize how out of shape I'm in. I no longer have the practice space or the desire to learn blazing fast fills, double bass, and blast beats. Maybe I'm just getting too old to play out anymore. I spent the better part of 4 hours sitting with the sound guy and learning more about FOH mixing. I was more interested in what he was doing than what the bands were doing. Then it also helped that he is one of the touring sound guys with "Tool". He really knows his stuff and seemed more than willing to share info about what he does and why.

Has anyone else here made a switch and enjoyed being out front? If so, how did you find new opportunities to learn and apply your new skills? I think a lot of us have mixed a little here and there with the bands we've worked with, but has anyone made the full switch and just become "the sound man"?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually a local Battle of the Bands with 12 bands competing for a paid gig this fall.
Anyway, watching all of these, primarily, younger drummers play, made me realize how out of shape I'm in. I no longer have the practice space or the desire to learn blazing fast fills, double bass, and blast beats. Maybe I'm just getting too old to play out anymore. I spent the better part of 4 hours sitting with the sound guy and learning more about FOH mixing. I was more interested in what he was doing than what the bands were doing. Then it also helped that he is one of the touring sound guys with "Tool". He really knows his stuff and seemed more than willing to share info about what he does and why.

Has anyone else here made a switch and enjoyed being out front? If so, how did you find new opportunities to learn and apply your new skills? I think a lot of us have mixed a little here and there with the bands we've worked with, but has anyone made the full switch and just become "the sound man"?
I've run sound for a few gigs where I wasn't playing (more than 10, less than 50), and it's an interesting experience. I generally do it for bands that I'm friends with, so it's usually bands I enjoy listening to / am familiar with. I've done sound for a few festivals where I _don't_ know the bands / material, and it's a much less enjoyable experience :)

One nice thing is that the sound engineer always gets paid, regardless of how the door receipts end up. :)