Music "Shed"

Rmgreg

Reaction score

Rmgreg

Reaction score
My 2 cents on this is not of size but warmth in the winter. I live in Northern New Mexico, have a 'drum room' made mostly of wood frame and partially of adobe. The room started its life as a shed and we insulated it. But it's downright cold right now and the insulation isn't enough. And the adobe needs heat from the inside to store the heat so it works the way it's supposed to. I really wish we had built it so I could have added south facing windows to take advantage of the sun light/warmth to take the edge off and then add heat from there. Solar panels are a great way to go, just add the battery storage for heating along with amps and computer if you go that way. You also may think about a trombe wall. Or maybe a wood or pellet stove. But you'll be way happier up there in CO if you do.

I'm going to add another 2 cents about size relating to the above suggestions. And that is, the bigger and taller the room the more it takes to heat it.

Sounds like fun though. Let us know how it progresses.
Great points. I need to do some calculations for amount of power needed from solar. I like the south facing window idea particularly since Pikes Peak is in my southern view. I think a used wood burning stove wood be great but I probably need something to keep it reasonably warm when I'm not in there for the drums and other equipment. Not sure what would be most efficient? Probably something propane fired and a couple 100g tanks.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoah! Love your marimba! Is that a 5-octave? Make? Play much?
Just a Yamaha 4-1/3 accoustalon (sp?). Just something to teach with and big enough to use for beginners through college prep.
I don't get to practice much or play due to life.
I wanted to spend some more time this year working on reading and sightreading but it's now 1/13 and I haven't been on it once. So much for that new year's goal.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm no expert but heard that wood is the best insulation per inch than other products. Other than that after you decide on how many electrical outlet you'll need add another 1/3 to a 1/2 more, you'll probably need it. I'm in the process of redesigning my garage/work shop now and already finding I need more. But that's why they make long power strips. LOL

sherm

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy oh boy, this is the thread that I was waiting for! I'd love to set up a shed with some soundproofing and AC just for my drums. I have the yard to do it but don't even know where to start. My wife is definitely up for it (not because of the noise). It would completely free up one of the rooms!