Music sounds flat on IEMs after a while

BenjiDrums

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if this happens to anyone else.

sometimes jamming at home to songs using my IEMs and just Spotify songs, the songs are super clear and detailed in my ears… but as the song and my drumming progresses, it feels like I lose fidelity in how “clear” all instruments sound

Its not bleeding (I have custom IEM molds from Sensaphonics and I always put some 3M mufflers on top for further isolation) but more like certain frequencies may not be as loud once I get drumming.

I thought maybe a mixer to go higher in whatever frequencies I don’t hear with as much fidelity…. or is it that the Shure SE215 aren’t that good?

This is happening a minute into my playing (vs after a very long time playing)

Any suggestions for fixes???

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess, it's too loud and your ears are getting fatigued. You say you have custom molds with muffs on top? You should be able to go at low volume? Not sure how cranked you have it.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...Its not bleeding (I have custom IEM molds from Sensaphonics and I always put some 3M mufflers on top for further isolation) but more like certain frequencies may not be as loud once I get drumming...
Your drums will naturally mask frequencies in the music because they are more dynamic. The worst thing you could do would be to turn up the music in your phones to compensate. That will make you play louder, which will make you turn up the music even more, etc., etc. This upward spiral will eventually damage your hearing, and hearing damage is PERMANENT.

Do not expect the music in your phones to sound exactly the same while you're playing along with it. Learn to live with the difference.

BenjiDrums

Reaction score
My guess, it's too loud and your ears are getting fatigued. You say you have custom molds with muffs on top? You should be able to go at low volume? Not sure how cranked you have it.
About half way volume on the iPhone but sometimes feels like I have to go 3/4 of the way to really get into it

BenjiDrums

Reaction score
Your drums will naturally mask frequencies in the music because they are more dynamic. The worst thing you could do would be to turn up the music in your phones to compensate. That will make you play louder, which will make you turn up the music even more, etc., etc. This upward spiral will eventually damage your hearing, and hearing damage is PERMANENT.

Do not expect the music in your phones to sound exactly the same while you're playing along with it. Learn to live with the difference.
This is a great tip RE expecting the music to sound exactly the same… it never does which is kind of a bummer that the end result is always better than the actual process of playing to a track

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't like using mufflers. It's like their attenuation would be very uneven. Certain frequencies, like a bop floor tom tuned around C, are much louder than the rest.

Edit: This was not correct. The mufflers just kill too much high end. The issue with uneven attenuation was with closed headphones, so not relevant here.

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have very small ear canals so when using IEMs, the buds will often easily get mis-placed, popping outwards or just un-sealing the seal. In those cases, I lose a lot of bottom end and the sound becomes thin/shrill. Make sure you have adequate tips adapted to your ear canal size and that they are put in nice and snug. You'd be surprised by how a little mis-placement can affect sound in a big way