Music store trifecta!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the dudes out on Saturday. Hit the local donut shop first, then Guitar Showcase in SJ and they (8 & 12) got to play some basses (slapping like Davey504!), mandolin, Dobro and some acoustic guitars. They checked out a $25K '57 Strat (in a glass case) and some keyboards, too. They had a BOP Ludwig 13/16/22 with lightly pitted Supra for $2.2K on consignment and a pre serial 13/16/22/jazz fest in various faded sky blue pearl for about $2.8K. Very little cymbals. The "museum" section upstairs was closed off sadly. Many rooms full of guitars but one was a very cool room with guitars hanging from the ceiling.

We then went to Starving Musician in Santa Clara. There was a line so we hit GC nearby and there was a line. We got in and went straight to drums. Nice DW collectors kit right next to the cashier and we got "the look" a few times. Some cool Roland kits and an Octopad that sounded great. There was a Breakbeat kit in the open cymbal room and a 20 something hipster just busting out non-stop rap/hip hop beats like a monster. Pretty full today. Lots of snares but nothing good. I played a Yamaha stage custom, Catalina club, PDP, Ludwig backbeat (lowest line) and a Mapex. All lined up. I just went down hitting each rack tom.....the Yamaha sounded the best but all were virtually similar. They had a 26" Agazarian gong for $400 with stand so I had a few moments tapping it. We then hit the keyboard dept and my older guy was jamming on a sick $4K Roland pro keyboard that sounded amazing. Saw a used set of Sonor Safaris in blue for $420! Made me feel very good about scoring mine from another GC for $200! Had a nice but used Tama Starclassic kit (4 or 5 piece) for $700. Red to a whitish/pink fade - ugly colors but nice.

We then left and the line must have been 10 long. We got to Starving and got right in. My buddy, the manager, was there and it was good to catch up. I bought a few saddle screws for my little guy's Strat mini and a strap button for his new Xmas acoustic. He found a $99 Casio half keyboard that was cool and portable and wanted, but I had to shut that down (I have a keyboard at home). He tried playing a $2K keyboard but one of the other sales guys got snarky, annoying but I get it. We then hit the drums section and although they have a used cymbal room with 100+ cymbals, new and used, I didn't have much time to enjoy. We did hit the percussion table and jammed out on bongos, congas wood blocks, kalimbas, chimes and talking drums! I took a few pics of a snare for a fellow DFO-er and we had a fun filled time. I did find a pair of thin used A hat's for $100 but the top was cracked at the hole.....very sizzling and tempting, though. Found a very calming wall of Remo's......

We also hit up Frys, a huge computer store, found a local new kabob (really lamb gyros) place - oddly, the trend was people eating "out" in their cars in the parking lot - and the dudes then got Oreo sundaes at McD's......all in all, a mighty fine Saturday despite the 'Vid!

20201226_145855.jpg
20201226_163521.jpg

Last edited:

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Took the dudes out on Saturday. Hit the local donut shop first, then Guitar Showcase in SJ and they (8 & 12) got to play some basses (slapping like Davey504!), mandolin, Dobro and some acoustic guitars. They checked out a $25K '57 Strat (in a glass case) and some keyboards, too. They had a BOP Ludwig 13/16/22 with lightly pitted Supra for $2.2K on consignment and a pre serial 13/16/22/jazz fest in various faded sky blue pearl for about $2.8K. Very little cymbals. The "museum" section upstairs was closed off sadly. Many rooms full of guitars but one was a very cool room with guitars hanging from the ceiling.

We then went to Starving Musician in Santa Clara. There was a line so we hit GC nearby and there was a line. We got in and went straight to drums. Nice DW collectors kit right next to the cashier and we got the look a few times. Some cool Roland kits and an Octopad that sounded great. There was a Breakbeat kit in the open cymbal room and a 20 something hipster just busting out non-stop rap/hip hop beats like a monster. Pretty full today. Lots of snares but nothing good. I played a Yamaha stage custom, Catalina club, PDP, Ludwig backbeat (lowest line) and a Mapex. All lined up. I just went down hitting each rack tom.....the Yamaha sounded the best but all were virtually similar. They had a 26" Agazarian gong for $400 with stand so I had a few moments tapping it. We then hit the keyboard dept and my older guy was jamming on a sick $4K Roland pro keyboard that sounded amazing. Saw a used set of Sonor Safaris in blue for $420! Made me feel very good about scoring mine from another GC for $200! Had a nice but used Tama Starclassic kit (4 or 5 piece) for $700. Red to a whitish/pink fade - ugly colors but nice.

We then left and the line must have been 10 long. We got to Starving and got right in. My buddy, the manager, was there and it was good to catch up. I bought a few saddle screws for my little guy's Strat mini and a strap button for his new Xmas acoustic. He found a $99 Casio half keyboard that was cool and portable and wanted, but I had to shut that down (I have a keyboard at home). He tried playing a $2K keyboard but one of the other sales guys got snarky, annoying but I get it. We then hit the drums section and although they have a used cymbal room with 100+ cymbals, new and used, I didn't have much time to enjoy. We did hit the percussion table and jammed out on bongos, congas wood blocks, kalimbas, chimes and talking drums! I took a few pics of a snare for a fellow DFO-er and we had a fun filled time. I did find a pair of thin used A hat's for $100 but the top was cracked at the hole.....very sizzling and tempting, though. Found a very calming wall of Remo's......

We also hit up Frys, a huge computer store, found a local new kabob (really lamb gyros) place and the dudes got Oreo sundaes at McD's......all in all, a mighty fine Saturday despite the 'Vid!

View attachment 476756 View attachment 476757
Nice to see lines for music stores. It’s something I definitely have not seen while I was growing up in SJ (South Jersey). :)