header.nohb.html

Music Today Is About Cost Cutting

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is my attempt to knock Vistalite Black off his perch.
The story itself amused me. I'm a Stone Roses fan, but I don't go to live shows often. My slightly more serious view on music today is you get what you pay for and streaming pays $0.004
Quote:
'Fans of Ian Brown say they were left disappointed after the opening night of his tour featured no band, with the singer performing to backing tracks.'

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a pretty good 30 Seconds to Mars show that was just the drummer and singer (brothers)... playing to background tracks is karaoke literally by definition.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ed Sheeran makes a ton of money playing solo, even though his albums are fully orchestrated across synths, drums, guitar and percussion. I guess his get out clause is he's actually playing.

Polska

DFO Master
Reaction score
Singer playing a solo gig with guitar or piano - depending on who it is, may very well be worth it. But I can't think of one singer I'd want to see on stage with no other instruments.

notINtheband

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Our lead singer does solo acoustic gigs. 3 weeks ago he was booked to open for John Anderson.
He played his acoustic set and then it was John Anderson, but sans band. John just brought an accompanying guitarist and the two sat in chairs and played a 90 minute set to 1500 in the sold out theater.

Nobody knew before the gig it wasn’t his whole band and the tickets and posters merely said ‘John Anderson.”

We played the afterparty at the venue as a full band and speaking to the attendees later, not one minded that he didn’t bring his full band, though every one of them mentioned they assumed he would.

I was really surprised but I suppose it depends on the artist and their followers expectations.

EE299228-F5C4-4E32-AAC1-B04C52B2868E.jpeg

JonnyFranchi$e

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Three Reasons Why Modern Music is JUST About The Money (Karaoke Content Inside! NUMBER 3 WILL SHOCK YOU!)

The Following Photos Are For MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY!

JK

IMO nothing will replace the energy and excitement (danger, even) of literal musicals playing together without a click - making MUSIC together.

Seeing someone sing to a pre-recorded backing track is like watching someone else react to someone else's reaction to a song on youtube.

Nah I'm good.

JonnyFranchi$e

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Even the "one guy with an acoustic" thing - or the "dad-duo with acoustics" thing. Not interested.

And I play in a dad acoustic duo sometimes. It's fun.

It's really about getting some money gigs where we can pocket enough to at least cover travel expenses - rather than sharing it with 4 of us. And it is FUN and people seem to enjoy it.

As a music lover, though, I'm not going to those gigs because I don't find that type of presentation interesting.

JBludwig

Reaction score
I think it’s pretty impressive when “singer/song writers” play a song like a one person band with a looper pedal. But, not every song. Come on Ed…

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is my attempt to knock Vistalite Black off his perch.
The story itself amused me. I'm a Stone Roses fan, but I don't go to live shows often. My slightly more serious view on music today is you get what you pay for and streaming pays $0.004
Quote:
'Fans of Ian Brown say they were left disappointed after the opening night of his tour featured no band, with the singer performing to backing tracks.'
Luckily I attend to real concert in two weeks. The Cure. Usually 3 hours show. That’s how you respect the fans.

And Stone Roses…Ian probably conflicted again with other guys. I like their debut album. Happy Mondays on my playlist too….I like Manchester bands a lot. Recently I rediscovered more dark sided sound - the Chameleons…what a criminally underrated band