header.nohb.html

Music Today Is About Cost Cutting

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the arguing continues.....

Didn‘t mean to interrupt the flow of the silly antics.
Just want to make it crystal freekin clear … I am NOT the member named LOUD.
It is NOT me.
We are NOT the same guy and I am NOT arguing with Chris.
Happened in another thread where I was confused with another member … there is precedence.
So … not me.
Now, we return you to your regularly scheduled program.
I believe one member was disparaging another.
Aaaaaaand … go.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate is too strong. I avoid bad influences and have no emotional connection.

You can post links to new music if you can show something.
I’m 58 and still out here exploring new stuff …I still listen to my old favorites don’t get me wrong ….but geez you are closed minded on purpose??????

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have fun with the new.

New stuff like violent drill rap is the hot stuff that I can ignore. Luckily I missed Nickelback’s butt/stripper rock. (I just learned about it on DFO.)

I’m having my fun with older stuff. Some DFOers are happily stuck in the jazz music time bubble. Endless old material for me to enjoy over the radio.
Here’s something new !!!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have to remind myself that some music requires more than a few listens , I have CDs that I didn’t like at 1st that now I love a lot .

I’ve had the Van Morrison catalog for … a while.
It took me until maybe a few years ago to really appreciate the Hymns to the Silence CD.
Never really connected with it.
I was out of the country and it popped up in rotation.
It landed in me.
Finally got it.
I love some of those songs now.
Several CDs have gone through this in my library … Collective Soul had several.
I have to remind myself to keep listening.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the Van Morrison catalog for … a while.
It took me until maybe a few years ago to really appreciate the Hymns to the Silence CD.
Never really connected with it.
I was out of the country and it popped up in rotation.
It landed in me.
Finally got it.
I love some of those songs now.
Several CDs have gone through this in my library … Collective Soul had several.
I have to remind myself to keep listening.
I’ve had an explosion of all of the sudden discovering I really like some of the older artists a lot more than when I was younger .
Usually because I’ll find a concert on YouTube and give it a whirl . There is a lot more to a lot of bands than the radio hits …

Wow ….

Credit goes to my wife for a few of them ..
I also didn’t really care for her CDs when I met her . Now I really love it a lot and I wouldn’t just say that …

Our band is the most musically fulfilling band I’ve ever been in by far .

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
My criteria is usually does it have a good melody and do I want to listen to it again after the first listen. Pretty simple.
I find that most music I want to listen to a second time, I don’t need to listen to again after the 3rd or 4th time. On the other hand, the music I like best is music that I have to listen to many times before I begin to understand it and really dig it. YMMV!

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I still like to buy my own music. I have not given in to streaming music - it just does not seem right to me. I also MUST listen to an a tire album, start to finish. I can never use the shuffle feature on my phone. Such is my curse and my gift.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
1664728456087.png

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So in Dixon they have a big festival every year over 4th of July called petunia fest. This year we played the country night and the headline was a guy no one ever heard. I asked the guy that books the bands and this band got 15k to play. So I’m friends with the sound guy and noticed some super killer gear on stage. He proceeded to tell me everything but the drums and main singer are tracked. Guitars back up harmonies, bass all tracked. Needless to say I was mad.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The icing on the cake is the protection of the environment by not having to purchase hardware like CDs, vinyl, cassettes, and be wearing out things with moving parts like turntables and cassette and CD players.

You underestimate the proliferation of enviro pollution from computers, and the resources to obatin rare metals that are in them.
I go through a new computer or phone about every 7 years to stay 'current'.
In contrast, my CD player, turntable, cassette player, amps etc from the late 70's to the 90s are still going strong.

Mapex Always

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You underestimate the proliferation of enviro pollution from computers, and the resources to obatin rare metals that are in them.
I go through a new computer or phone about every 7 years to stay 'current'.
In contrast, my CD player, turntable, cassette player, amps etc from the late 70's to the 90s are still going strong.

My 3 reference CD / SACD / DVD-A playback systems … Are all in continual play 3 to 5 times a week. Never a problem , easy to get service if needed , and I’m constantly adding new software (CDs) to the collection.

Also I run 4 multi disc units as a secondary reference system ,, along with a 7.1 multi channel CD / SACD / DVD-A rig as a tertiary reference system.

All 3 primary reference systems are kept at the edge of the art by software and hardware upgrades.

Here’s some literature on these 3 reference rigs ,, in my home CD is alive and well , without a streaming device in sight :)

…. And in this new , “state of the art” in its own right , Pearl Masterworks picture , if you look ever so closely , you can see some CDs building up in the background.

5FAA59D1-D098-4DCF-AA96-CD7768393D32.jpeg

Who am I kidding, I’m just looking for any excuse to post that drum set pic again :)

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Any Blu-ray player will also play CDs.

Also, Apple has a great SuperDrive that goes USB to the Mac.
I’ve got several of them and they just work.
Plays and rips CDs and DVDs.
Very convenient.
My Macs run my entertainment, so I don’t run a dedicated CD or DVD player.

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another plus for streaming services like Tidal is that they often make out-of-print physical media a redundant issue. So creators can still make a little money from new listeners or those who didn't buy/couldn't afford the original hard media versions. Apologies if this has already been mentioned. (But I'm not arguing that some popular artists aren't losing out big time now compared to the old days.)

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK. Do you don’t like the idea. Some of us are trying to be helpful.

Publicity for the events would be on TikTok or something similar. If you don’t want to have an open discussion then I won’t offer suggestions to you.
I already posted my route to a solution, several pages ago. Sorry you didn't read it.
Renegotiate the deals with record labels. End free streaming.
The public can help by buying product directly from artists.