header.nohb.html

Music Today Is About Cost Cutting

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You missed the bit where I was confused by your point. I may 100% agree with it, when I understand it.

Don't take it wrong, but you missed the bit where it doesn't matter to me whether you or anyone else agrees or disagrees with my point.
It is just that ... my point - stated and walked away from.
And if I take the time to clarify ... then you or someone else will add a comment about the clarification and then the back and forth ensues.
I'm not here to win people over to my views ... goodness knows most would be very uncomfortable with them.
Heck, I am at times.
I'm just here enjoying the fun of fellow drummers and partaking in contributing a point or two to various discussions.
If in the future I write something unclear ... just nod and giggle at the strange old southerner that can't string together a reasonable thought.
Won't be the first time ... but I still maintain that judge had it out for me.
No disrespect implied ... just being very clear.

Last edited:

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not here to win people over to my views.
I'm very secure in my own skin and do not require validation.
I said I was confused. I assumed you had some insight from tv and film that might add to my knowledge of the music industry. As it was I couldn't really understand the point you were making.
In the music industry, people budget their lives to suit the music they want to make. So I have worked with plenty of people who made just about enough to survive, but at the same time made the music they were passionate about making. A lot of jazz musicians are a prime example.
Streaming has badly impacted those people's ability to scrape by.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I might be very old for that but I still Buy albums online with no streaming at all. If I like an artist, I want To be able to discover him as a whole and then, discover a large number of songs from him and not only one that is played the most on radio. Instead of buying cd's like I was doing in the 80/90's, I buy them on Apple Music and I like to have the full album, it's still 12$ like it was 12 Euros in the past, paying just to listen and not owning is also a waste of money for me.

I really don't listen to music for enjoyment much anymore. My listening is almost completely dedicated to songs I have to learn, so Spotify is very utilitarian for me.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
So folks are starting to get some backlash

Both these acts were festival headliners

At the 8:10 mark Brown spits the line “I’m at war with all these posers and these frauds”; all the while doing karaoke of himself.

Failing in Reverse cancels show over lost backing tracks and blames the crew for his inability to put on a live show…. Well live.

You can’t play a live show live in 2022 according to this guy. How far we have fallen.

“And as a band in 2022, you need your laptops. It’s like driving a car without an engine. It’s really unfortunate. Supposedly they are lost. Blame it on our crew, I guess.”

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way back in 1985, Billy Ocean took the stage to backing tracks on one of the biggest live shows of the century - LIVE AID.
I didn't really appreciate it back then.
Not sure I'd like it today ... well, other than the fact that he's really really old now and I haven't aged a day.

DrummBumm89

Reaction score
So folks are starting to get some backlash

Both these acts were festival headliners

At the 8:10 mark Brown spits the line “I’m at war with all these posers and these frauds”; all the while doing karaoke of himself.

Failing in Reverse cancels show over lost backing tracks and blames the crew for his inability to put on a live show…. Well live.

You can’t play a live show live in 2022 according to this guy. How far we have fallen.

“And as a band in 2022, you need your laptops. It’s like driving a car without an engine. It’s really unfortunate. Supposedly they are lost. Blame it on our crew, I guess.”

The whole Eddie Trunk Loudwire spam of the Falling in Reverse thing is ridiculous.

There was a viral video not too long ago of a metal band's tech tapping the click track on his leg for a set because his in-ears died. Everyone applauded that.

90% of Mainstream Live performances are through Ableton/Protools live to a click.
Many pop/rock/metal bands use their Guitar FX ran through a laptop. It keeps stage volume down, which creates consistency night over night on the road and reduces monitor volume / hearing damage.
We have Axe FX, The Helix / clones amongst other systems that are widely used across the world now which can make travel/setup much more convenient. It makes the day-to-day work much easier and consistent t for small/mid-tier bands that can't afford multi-semi trucks to haul gear.

I understand that we miss the days of our gear getting stolen out of the back of vans, loading in 5 members of gear into a hotel room, having someone sleep in the van in the dead of winter to "protect" the gear, not being able to travel on flights as a mid-tier band since shipping/renting gear is expensive and enduring hearing damage by the age of 50.
We have other options that make travel on the road, load in/out and health easier then before.

That doesn't even touch on the fact the click sequences many things, which could be anything from an Orchestra (not seeing many rock bands touring with a 10pc orchestra these days), to piano (Aerosmith with Steven Tyler jumping on top of the piano mid-song, piano still goes), fireworks, synths, to intros (Metallica's Ecstacy of Gold?) and lights, not mentioning the controversial vocals/base instruments that can be in there.
Click tracks are vital to almost all modern productions to sequence events.

Most people are not wanting to go to a big event/venue in hopes to have nothing but sparse can lights and guitars without effects.
Where we draw the line with tracks is something I don't have a solid answer to.
However, to act like a $100 ticket would be ok to see a band without any stage lights, guitar effects or production would be like watching someone on stage performing karaoke.....
There is also an influx of band people doing DJ sets, but I digress.

Last edited:

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we are debating streaming vs. live, etc. and it occurred to me that I probably still owe Columbia House money.

Time to go off the grid! ;-)

Attachments

• 4A49E59C-46CC-41A1-B289-C04CF16FDE1E.jpeg
    4A49E59C-46CC-41A1-B289-C04CF16FDE1E.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 11

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
@DrummBumm89 you make some good points about modern music; lot that goes into it.

“However, to act like a $100 ticket would be ok to see a band without any stage lights, guitar effects or production would be like watching someone on stage performing karaoke.....”

That’s exactly what Ian B is doing. You should watch the Justin Hawkins vid where he breaks down the cost of this show minus the cheap LED stage lights from the 3k audience attendance at 40 pounds each.

DrummBumm89

Reaction score
@DrummBumm89 you make some good points about modern music; lot that goes into it.

“However, to act like a $100 ticket would be ok to see a band without any stage lights, guitar effects or production would be like watching someone on stage performing karaoke.....”

That’s exactly what Ian B is doing. You should watch the Justin Hawkins vid where he breaks down the cost of this show minus the cheap LED stage lights from the 3k audience attendance at 40 pounds each.

That line was supposed to be tongue in cheek. I'll stick to drumming over my bludgeoning standup career.

Love Justin Hawkins as well. Have not seen that video yet however.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
That line was supposed to be tongue in cheek. I'll stick to drumming over my bludgeoning standup career.

Love Justin Hawkins as well. Have not seen that video yet however.
Oh I misread your comments my apologies. Yeah he breaks it down pretty hard down to the cheap on stage LED lighting and is this just taking advantage of your fans or is this what people really want to see today in modern music….

So some old guys playing today can still draw a crowd with acoustics and a mic. People were falling all over themselves to catch this show.

Don’t see Bob using backing tracks or extensive stage craft for the Kennedy Center run of shows.

“Bobby Weir & Wolf Bros join conductor, Steven Reineke, and the National Symphony Orchestra for a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration October 5-9, 2022. The shows will feature Bobby Weir, Don Was and Jay Lane featuring Jeff Chimenti with special guests The Wolfpack. String and brass quintet The Wolfpack, featuring Alex Kelly, Brian Switzer, Adam Theis, Mads Tolling, and Sheldon Brown, bring the thrilling orchestral element to this must-see concert event.”

Last edited:

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

40 pounds was the ticket price