header.nohb.html

Music Today Is About Cost Cutting

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"My slightly more serious view on music today is you get what you pay for and streaming pays $0.004."

Streaming has been saving me around $2,000 USD a year in CD purchases with the bonus of not having to download them to get the better sound quality and playing convenience which comes from local streaming into a decent D/A converter. So probably more creators are getting the sounds they intended to more listeners.

And on all of my purchases for items not available on Tidal the artists or their record companies get 80% or more of what I pay to Bandcamp - a treasure trove of innovative and creative music - for lossless files. Again, undiminished sound quality.

The icing on the cake is the protection of the environment by not having to purchase hardware like CDs, vinyl, cassettes, and be wearing out things with moving parts like turntables and cassette and CD players.
Your $2000 "savings" is money that's not going to creators, so not sure why you think this is a good thing for them.

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The constant upgrading of equipment means lots of e-waste.
That's why I decided to buy playback equipment with a reputation for longevity designed for the recording industry (D/A converter) and the German recording and broadcasting industries (active loudspeakers). My music computer is a humble 2014 Mac Mini which I intend to keep for as long as possible.

Your informative post is appreciated. (I never discard my CDs though as they may serve as back up.)

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your $2000 "savings" is money that's not going to creators, so not sure why you think this is a good thing for them.
That $2000 in savings is partly going to creators who have been benefitting from my Bandcamp purchases. If people like me don't have to fork out money on CDs we have more available to spend on downloads where money isn't wasted on manufacturing and distribution.

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Please state your proposed “fair”system.
I certainly don't have one. Am guessing the problem is way too complex for anything less than a team of experienced economists to meaningfully study for at least 2 years.

Edit: Sorry, I responded before realising you were asking Brandon.

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That $2000 in savings is partly going to creators who have been benefitting from my Bandcamp purchases. If people like me don't have to fork out money on CDs we have more available to spend on downloads where money isn't wasted on manufacturing and distribution.
Got it - didn’t realize the $2000 was limited to physical media savings, and that some of that was sent back to artists. Misreading on my part.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How is the success of an act like Luis Cole (or Snarky Puppy) accounted for? The products you’re talking about were never creative musical endeavors right? Just products in a market?
Roadwork and special edition versions of albums. Plus they do rack up a lot of streams, especially on YT. But they are by far exceptions and not the norm.

Anyway, why would anyone argue with Chris when a band as big as Anthrax has to cancel a European tour because the money doesn’t make sense now that transpo went sky high? They don’t get top dollar but they do very very well.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's probably much too late now, but the labels themselves could have done what the TV networks did in response to Netflix.
I agree, but also the HUGE thing about Netflix, Disney, Amazon etc is you aren't offered all the films and tv that have ever been made, like you are with music streaming.
Netflix produces new content, paying new talent to make it. Spotify invests nothing in new talent or content. We make our own records at our own expense and upload it, then we compete with The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder etc.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think one problem is there is already enough music to listen to. Some people need new stuff to be created but most don’t. Listening to old material is fine to me.
Art needs new blood to stay vital, relevant.
If people had your attitude in the past we'd still be listening to the Glen Miller Orchestra and Tommy Dorsey. there would be no Beatles, no Mahavishnu Orchestra, no Foo Fighters and no Kraftwerk.

Mapex Always

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hate is too strong. I avoid bad influences and have no emotional connection.

You can post links to new music if you can show something.

What year on do you consider new would be the question , based on your age …..

Here’s a fantastic track from a musical genius who’s catalog is being added to as we speak. Both live and studio.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's all too subjective, but to claim contemporary music is worthless across the board is obviously both wrong and cynical.
Also, to say art never needs to innovate, based on one genre (rap) disliked is also short sighted.