Musical Frequencies

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the iDrumtune Pro App.
I am currently playing 2 mounted toms and a floor.
The mounted are 10 and 12 and the floor is 14.
I have the 10 inch tuned to c3# and the 12 inch is tuned to A2.

However, the 14 inch floor tom comes in a d3# which is a higher pitcher than either of the mounted toms.. As a matter of fact it is almost an octave over the 10 inch. But it has a nice booming sound to it.

How is it possible that the floor comes in higher than the 10 inch

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your app is probably picking up on one of the overtones. Take whatever it says with a grain of salt. These are drums, not pitched instruments.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with iDrumtune Pro App but as mentioned it must be a different octave.

Here is a helpful chart:

http://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

I assume you really mean C#3 for the 10 which would be 139hz and the 12" at A2 would be 110hz. When you say "the 14 inch floor tom comes in a d3#" it's either tuned way too high or it really is D#2 (or 78hz) which would make much more sense.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play the 10 at C 3rd, 12 at D 2nd and 14 at F 2nd. Now my 14 will also tune in nice like a 16" at D 2nd. So drop that thing down an octave and you'll be surprised.

You can also tune that 12 at G 2nd when you do that if you like. Play around with it and see what you like best.

sherm

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
the same way i can tune my 16x22 bass drums lower than the same tama 16x24 i had with the same type heads. the smaller the diameter the head the less the sag.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
MAN..you got me there. Never heard of such a thing, but i suppose its possible but one drum will feel like a wet noodle and the other, a table top.

Latest posts