Musicians who are off the chart intelligent

PaulD

Reaction score
Jeff Skunk Baxter consults for the Pentagon when he's not playing with Steely Dan, the Doobie Brothers, etc.

And yes, Brian May has a PhD in astrophysics. The rest of Queen were far from stupid also.

Reaction score
I'll keep my reply to people whom I have had first hand interactions.

Drummers: In conversation, both Vinnie Colaiuta and Jojo Mayer made HUGE impressions on me as being SUPER intelligent. Tony Williams was a very smart person. Mark Gulianna and Tyshawn Sorey are both brilliant young men. John Riley is not only a wonderful teacher but a very intelligent man, the same could be said for Gary Chaffee.

Other musicians: Wayne Shorter is a terribly brilliant person, however his brilliance is often obscured in his "non-linear communication" processes. The same could probably be said about Cecil Taylor (although that is not a first hand claim.) Jackie McLean and Andrew Hill were both VERY smart men. Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea are very smart individuals, and so is saxophonist Steve Coleman. And pianist Vijay Iyer is clearly operating on a different level.

My assertions-opinions are based on interacting with these people and being struck with their high-level communication skills. The amount and variance of subjects that they referenced in general communication, vocabulary, accuracy, and the clarity in which they communicated was also clearly evident in our interactions.

MSG

What It Is

Reaction score
Weren't all the guys in Boston MIT grads? i would say those guys, or if anybody at NASA has a pick-up/weekend band. I bet those guys would be pretty smart.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Yes, Dexter Holland holds a PhD in molecular biology.

Also, Rivers Cuomo from Weezer graduated cum laude from Harvard.
"Keep 'em Separated" was something Dexter would tell himself while cooling Erlenmeyer flasks full of hot liquids.

I don't have anyone else to add to the list, just thought that little tidbit was interesting.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins seems pretty bright. Geddy Lee is also very articulate and thoughtful in any interview I've heard or read with him.